Skip to main content

2017 Bucket List #1 - Visit Marlins Park


My 13th MLB stadium (not counting the ones that are no longer - RIP old Yankee Stadium) was in fact Marlins Park in wonderful Miami, Florida. I had the opportunity to check off two bucket list items in my visit by seeing the park, AND being present for the World Baseball Classic opening round. Of course, I'll have more on the latter in another post.

Regardless, back to Marlins Park. My first and major takeaway is in fact tied to the bureaucracy that has surrounded the building since it's inception. The park is located in a peculiar location in Miami. Very apparent of the cheap land acquired, and the socioeconomics of the neighborhood that surrounds it. Though, much like the two games I went to, the ballpark has given many of the neighboring folks revenue-generating opportunities, renting out their front yards for parking and other tailgating opportunities. Makes for a unique concept.

As for the structure, the building's appearance is interesting. From certain angles (mainly the back of the building), it's really cool. The round structure and glass portrayed gives it a unique look that is in fact very fitting with the rest of the city. From the third base side of the building, things get a bit weird, but is still okay. For the rest of the building, it feels like either one of two things - there was little vision for the building, or there was not much funds for it. And as you can probably research, the answer is possibly both. 

The structure also comes into play when considering the top deck of the building. There is a series of ramps that continue on for what feels like a lifetime for folks with tickets above home plate. Also, if you wanted to grab food or merchandise, you have to journey back down to the main level. Again, just unacceptable for a modern park. 

One last thing as I seem to harp on the negatives - that art structure in centerfield is worst in person than it is on TV. Why is it there? It really doesn't represent the art around Miami. All it does is disrupt another potential standing area (and possibly money-maker) in centerfield. 






For the positives, the ballpark is very intimate, and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. I know that is said often, but really, that's the truth. 

And of course, the retractable rook in sunny and rainy Florida is awesome. Again, the back end of the stadium with the glass paneling allows for a view onto the streets of Miami and the city scape, which is a nice touch. If only the front of the building has the same amount of detail and care. 

Other than that, Marlins Park has potential. There is plenty of room to change things or at the very least, spice things up to make it feel more like a home for the Marlins, or at the very least, to mirror the spirit of Miami. Maybe the new ownership will do so? 

Overall, Marlins Park is nice. Nothing crazy, but again, with the finances available when building it, I still think they made out pretty well. 

Recently Read Posts

4:44 - Jay-Z Pulls Me Back

I admit it. At one point, this Brooklyn-born-and-raised guy who narrated his growth to the tunes of one Jay-Z, believed that those days were gone. Over the last two or three albums, I sort of gave up on Jay-z being that voice that I can identify with. That voice that always speaks and holds truth to what I can relate to. Upon growing into a possible billionaire, and rapping about having money and whatever it was, I was one of those fans who decided, you know, will just listen to the hits. 
Partly, I was disappointed. He went from reaching in and representing the inner city heart of anyone who understood the words and sounds beyond just the catchy hooks and killer beats of what mainstream (and white) America heard.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 7/23/17

3 Up
1. Boy w/Double Hand Transplant - This is an amazing story! Not only is the young man the first to receive a double hand transplant, but he has functioning mobility in both hands. Better yet - he can now swing a bat! How cool is that?! And even better, what does this mean for others in the future? So cool. 
2. Aaron Judge's Blast - Judge has been giving Yankee fans - and baseball fans - thrills all year long with the blasts he's been sending into orbit. His latest home run in Seattle, which broke STATCAST, was epic, and will surely be one that will have mythical proportions in the future. 
3. What is America To Me - I love the opinion section of the New York Times - naturally as a blogger, why wouldn't I, right? Regardless, give this one a read regarding immigration, and the real life results of an issue we think of in just politics. 
3 Down
1. John McCain - It's tough hearing that the senator has been diagnosed with brain cancer. Here is to hoping he battles, and …

Dope Sports Threads - 2017 MLB All-Star Break

You knew I had to post on everything aesthetic during the MLB All-Star Break festivities. I just had to! Yes, I am a nerd for this stuff - always have been, always will be. And unlike some baseball fans, the All-Star Break is still must-see for me. I enjoy the Home Run Derby. I enjoy the All-Star Game. I appreciate seeing the guys enjoy the game that I love as well.

I'll leave my continued feelings (and rants) for fans who continue to push back against the progression of the game of baseball. For now, I'll just leave it be. I'm sure the rest of this post may drive them nuts too. Oh well. Here are some things that caught my eye this week:

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…