Skip to main content

Making Sense of This

It seems like everyday there is something new. And depending on which circle of beliefs, or what "America" you live or believe is just, the last few days have been an absolute whirlwind. Again, that could be for the good, or the bad - that is clearly up to you. 

For me, I find myself having plenty of conversations with students and colleagues - and often asked about my opinion on the current political climate. Truthfully, I am not exactly at the point of exasperation, anger, and overall burnout as I was in 2016, but in a severe state of incredulousness. 

Currently, everyone has an opinion, every is passionate, everyone is fiery, and with that comes the incredible amount of fake news, untruths, misguided comments, "alternative facts", and an overwhelming realization of the vast emptiness where empathy ought to be. 

If you read this blog, it's pretty evident where my opinions and core passions lay. Yet, I am currently trying to remove myself from the process, from the constant evolution, and yes, even from the repeated resistance of the current societal climate,  in order to examine what exactly is happening, and why. It's a pretty tough task. Really, for me, it's surreal. How did we get here? Where are we going? How does this affect so many various issues? And of course, who does this affect?

It's easy to blame President Trump, or if you're on the other side, defend him. But this has more to do with us - the people. More than ever, there is a divide that expands greater than just race, an aspect which has always plagued the nation since it's inception. This is beginning to feel like there is an expanding fundamental gap in philosophies or what exactly is "American", and how that ties into all of our values, laws, and pursuits. 

President Trump vows, "America First". And many applaud with hope of such a priority becoming the focus. Yet, it includes the banning of people, the removal of others, and the tearing apart of families - a nation itself built on those founding policies. And of course, we can go into religious freedoms if we want as well. Even the definition of "pro-life" which suddenly is now just a phrase for abortion, but not when it comes to the exclusion of "certain" people. 

As I continue to dive deeper into my passion of helping underrepresented and international students within higher education, it's become tougher to offer up rhetoric of hope and the urge to carry that power for change and resistance with them. With the latest ban on several muslim countries, I sit here, among all of the questions regarding the situation itself, and I now find myself in a quagmire in what to say to these students. What do I say to these real human beings who fear for their future? Because I know anything I offer up to help place a band-aid on their worries will now be unbelievable - for them, and even for me. 

As I freely punch the keys here, it all just feels like the severe lack of empathy has made life decisions more about political contest or argument, or even about a distorted sense of what "America" should be, rather than the true governing of lives - of real and genuine human beings. 

But hey, this is where we are. This is the moment in time and history. I'm still trying to make sense of this, much like most of you. And I'm pretty sure there will be more posts like this follow. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -