Skip to main content

Election Day Eve 2016 Thoughts - We've Just Been Punk'd, Right?


Well, it all comes down to tomorrow. In just a few hours, I will awake, jump on my bicycle and head to the nearest school to punch my ticket to vote for who I believe should be the next President of the United States, and then well, carry on with my day until an announcement is made later on. That's if, you know, things don't work out for Mr. Trump and he holds up the whole ordeal. I personally am expecting this very scenario for tomorrow night. Just my prediction. And if it happens, oh boy, stay tuned! 

Regardless, on a night like tonight, it's rather weird to think of the road to this very point. For me, this all still doesn't seem real. It feels as if, at some point, somehow, during the coverage tonight, someone tells the American people that we've just been Punk'd. After all, that would explain so much and answer the various question that I have about both candidates sitting here a mere minutes away before midnight.

So yeah, if you couldn't tell, I'm not excited, enthusiastic, or even moved by either big candidate. And don't I trust any of the other candidates because I feel like I haven't seen enough (or at all) of Gary Johnson or Jill Stein tested through the wringer that was the past few months. Voting this year, especially in the biggest year in all of the election cycles, seems like such a dud.

And really, isn't that the popular opinion and overall consensus on this race? It's been embarrassing, ridiculous, and we're all utterly fearful for what's to come. Those who think this entire nightmare ends tomorrow don't understand that this is just the beginning.

As I punch the keys tonight, I still don't know what I'm going to do in a few hours. Yes, that's the truth. I know how I would rank them as far as my dislike for them goes, but that doesn't do much for my responsibility in voting. I'll be super duper honest, I've even seriously considered a write-in possibility. At this point, there is a huge conflict in making my vote matter and being at peace with who I voted for. Often, it's a package deal. This year, it's mutually exclusive. 

Nonetheless, whatever. History is going to be made tomorrow in some fashion. Election Day is finally here, and all I ask is that everyone go out and vote. Please vote! Vote for whoever it is you want to vote for. Write in a candidate if you want. I actually may do just that. But use that right, as many take it for granted. 

I'll of course share my vote and reasoning (if there was one) with you all tomorrow, once this whole thing shakes out, of course. I can't wait to see who the next tenants signing a four year lease for the White House will be. 

Recently Read Posts

4:44 - Jay-Z Pulls Me Back

I admit it. At one point, this Brooklyn-born-and-raised guy who narrated his growth to the tunes of one Jay-Z, believed that those days were gone. Over the last two or three albums, I sort of gave up on Jay-z being that voice that I can identify with. That voice that always speaks and holds truth to what I can relate to. Upon growing into a possible billionaire, and rapping about having money and whatever it was, I was one of those fans who decided, you know, will just listen to the hits. 
Partly, I was disappointed. He went from reaching in and representing the inner city heart of anyone who understood the words and sounds beyond just the catchy hooks and killer beats of what mainstream (and white) America heard.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 7/16/17

3 Up 
1. Surprised Mother/Bride - I'm not one for sappy stories, but I am a sucker for a good story that reflects the circle of life, and the meaning of everything happening for a reason. Give this story a quick read - a mother who recently lost her son, has the recipient of her son's heart in a transplant show up at her wedding. Good stuff. Just good stuff. 
2. MLB All-Star Break - The MLB hit it out of the park earlier this week with an amazing time that included an awesome Home Run Derby, and some shenanigans that made for a good All-Star Game.
2A. Aaron Judge - Kudos to the big man for not only going along with the budding hype, but adding some legitimacy to it with that Home Run Derby performance. 
3. Roger Federer - Another Wimbledon Championship for the vet as he continues to hold off the young flock on the rise, yet continuing to add to an already super impressive legacy. 
3 Down
1. Donald Trump Jr. Situation - And...politics is back on the list. The continuing Russia p…

Dope Sports Threads - 2017 MLB All-Star Break

You knew I had to post on everything aesthetic during the MLB All-Star Break festivities. I just had to! Yes, I am a nerd for this stuff - always have been, always will be. And unlike some baseball fans, the All-Star Break is still must-see for me. I enjoy the Home Run Derby. I enjoy the All-Star Game. I appreciate seeing the guys enjoy the game that I love as well.

I'll leave my continued feelings (and rants) for fans who continue to push back against the progression of the game of baseball. For now, I'll just leave it be. I'm sure the rest of this post may drive them nuts too. Oh well. Here are some things that caught my eye this week:

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…