Skip to main content

Olympics 2016: Diversity and Dominance Ruling Week 1


For some reason, the Olympics have taken my attention by storm. The event sort of crept up on me without much anticipation, but has become a mainstay on my nightly television despite some self-sabotaging efforts from NBC. More on that in a bit. Regardless, here are some quick takeaways from the first week of action.

 - How freakin' amazing is Michael Phelps? At the point of this writing, Phelps sits at 22 Gold Medals (26 overall). Let me say that again, that's twenty-two freakin' gold medals! One is a major accomplishment for any athlete. Two is extraordinary. Mmmmmm, we can say four is legendary. Phelps has twenty two. Twenty flippin two! 

The more you watch Phelps in his races, and the metal focus he embodies that comes before his races (see: #PhelpsFace), the more I realize how lucky we are to witness this era of sheer Olympic dominance. Amazing stuff. 


- Staying with swimming, Katie Ledecky is just as amazing, right? It's like she has become this Olympic's version of Missy Franklin. By the way, what's up with Franklin? Yikes. 

- I'm going to be honest, I don't know much about Gymnastics. Quite frankly, I always cringe when I hear the commentators criticize small infractions and magnify the intimacies of the sport. To me, it's all amazing. Even more so when my exercise science background is used as a lens for my viewpoint. These athletes are unreal, especially the United States women's team, aka The Final Five, who do are the epitome of hard work and exceptional God-given talent. 

Despite their dominance, I am more in awe and appreciation of the diversity of the group. It's a great representation of what should be an example of the potential strength of our country if social justice were not a thorn in our existence and history as a nation. 

- Speaking of diversity, kudos to Simone Manuel. She is now the first black swimmer to ever medal in the Olympics for the United States. An absolutely awesome accomplishment. In my view, the biggest and most wide reaching moment of the Olympics yet. 


Between the Final Five and Simone Manuel, little girls everywhere, of all types of intersectionalities and backgrounds, especially those of color, have real examples of what is now possible, and undoubtedly, will be inspired. 

- Disappointed in the United States women's soccer team. Let's leave it at that. 

- Finally, what's with the NBC coverage of the Olympics? The coverage just seems all over the place in terms of presentation. Why would NBC air the fantastic performance of the Final Five at 10:30pm? Wouldn't that be something little girls would love to see? And I understand where I live, and all of that "Go USA" spirit, but can we equally present athletes of other countries? 

I don't know. I just feel that in a world of in-demand television and the far lengths networks go in presenting sporting events and leagues - cough*NFL*cough - more can be done to bring us the events, games, and stories involved in the Olympics. 

Recently Read Posts

4:44 - Jay-Z Pulls Me Back

I admit it. At one point, this Brooklyn-born-and-raised guy who narrated his growth to the tunes of one Jay-Z, believed that those days were gone. Over the last two or three albums, I sort of gave up on Jay-z being that voice that I can identify with. That voice that always speaks and holds truth to what I can relate to. Upon growing into a possible billionaire, and rapping about having money and whatever it was, I was one of those fans who decided, you know, will just listen to the hits. 
Partly, I was disappointed. He went from reaching in and representing the inner city heart of anyone who understood the words and sounds beyond just the catchy hooks and killer beats of what mainstream (and white) America heard.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 7/23/17

3 Up
1. Boy w/Double Hand Transplant - This is an amazing story! Not only is the young man the first to receive a double hand transplant, but he has functioning mobility in both hands. Better yet - he can now swing a bat! How cool is that?! And even better, what does this mean for others in the future? So cool. 
2. Aaron Judge's Blast - Judge has been giving Yankee fans - and baseball fans - thrills all year long with the blasts he's been sending into orbit. His latest home run in Seattle, which broke STATCAST, was epic, and will surely be one that will have mythical proportions in the future. 
3. What is America To Me - I love the opinion section of the New York Times - naturally as a blogger, why wouldn't I, right? Regardless, give this one a read regarding immigration, and the real life results of an issue we think of in just politics. 
3 Down
1. John McCain - It's tough hearing that the senator has been diagnosed with brain cancer. Here is to hoping he battles, and …

Dope Sports Threads - 2017 MLB All-Star Break

You knew I had to post on everything aesthetic during the MLB All-Star Break festivities. I just had to! Yes, I am a nerd for this stuff - always have been, always will be. And unlike some baseball fans, the All-Star Break is still must-see for me. I enjoy the Home Run Derby. I enjoy the All-Star Game. I appreciate seeing the guys enjoy the game that I love as well.

I'll leave my continued feelings (and rants) for fans who continue to push back against the progression of the game of baseball. For now, I'll just leave it be. I'm sure the rest of this post may drive them nuts too. Oh well. Here are some things that caught my eye this week:

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…