Skip to main content

All In On Porzingis


Okay, I am officially throwing this out there - I am a big fan of Kristaps Porzingis. Huuuuge fan. 

I'm not sure what it is, but Porzingis, thus far, seems like exactly the type of guy New York Knicks fans deserve after years of suffering. And to be quite frank, I'm just a fan of everything that is Porzinigis. I'm all about his potential. I'm all about his personality. I'm all about him embracing and wanting to play and win in this wonderful city of New York. 

Was it love at first sight? Possibly. On draft night when the typical "look-at-me-clowns" booed and jeered him, Porzingis handled it perfectly. Acknowledging that he will turn all of the criticism into applause. I loved how silly it all was. 

Especially, the evidence of how quick we are to proclaim an athlete a bust. Or the stupid stereotypes we have for European ballers. He's either Dirk Nowitzki or Andrea Bargnani. And of course, the typical American-bias used when we assume guys we've seen play in college basketball are automatically better than talent overseas. I was just drawn to the entire underdog concept of our pick. It pulled me in and made me root for this kid even more.

And yes, part of that is from the sheer fandom desperation of needing this pick to work out. 

[Side Note: I hope the guy that booed him just to get on television that night is forever brought up if Porzingis becomes an All-Star player. I'll forgive the kid who "fake cried". We all do stupid things as kids, especially when led by clowns.]

"I have no idea why I am booing!"
Of course, there were the talking heads like Stephen A. Smith who went all out in his typical, overblown, hyperbole rant and overreaction to the pick. By the way, Smith is now backtracking on his statements, claiming his issue is with Phil Jackson's bid to rebuild, and not to win now. Yeeeeeah, whatever Stephen A. Whatvevs, dude. 

Also, there was that awesome Latvian rap video that is oh so worthy of watching. Krisssssstaps Porzingis! The likeness meter on this kid just continued to soar after this. Come on, how many people have Latvian rap songs made about them? And with a sick beat, nonetheless!

And of course, and most importantly, now the big fella is playing in real games against legit NBA talent and thus far, barring any catastrophic injury, looks like he can be something very special as he develops and matures. 

Underdog. Poise. Potential. Rap videos. Whatever it is, I am throwing my endorsement onto the big fella. It's been a long time since I had a favorite New York Knick. He's now it. 

I'm all in. Krisssssssstaps. Porzingis!

Recently Read Posts

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 11/12/17

3 Up
1. Aly Raisman - Following the bravery of Mckayla Maroney and others in the #MeToo campaign, Raisman has stepped forward as the charges pile up for sexual abuse by former USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar. By the way, shame on USA Gymnastics for continuing to allow this culture. I shudder to think what else lies in the world of Gymnastics. 
2. New York Times - In a world where journalism - real journalism - is becoming harder and harder to find, The Times continues to break stories left and right, and did so again this week with the Louis CK piece. I think we all are tired of journalism wrapped in identity politics, and yes, even "fake news". 
3. Kristaps Porzingis - Obviously, you all know how much I love the Unicorn. But seriously, how enjoyable is he to watch? And barring injury, he can only get better. Melo, who? 
3 Down
1. Sean Hannity - Seriously, I don't even know how this guy sleeps at night. And really, I'm not even sure what kind of person follows thi…

Pondering Picture #82

I snapped this photo in midtown Manhattan following a meeting with believe it or not, various professors from my alma mater of Cazenovia College. It was tremendous catching up with them all, especially considering it's been ten-plus years since I've seen them. 
Sometimes, honestly, it's almost like I forget I spent four years in upstate New York. And when I am reminded of it, often I am amazed in how a such a small town helped prepare me to tackle the big city, New York City - my home. 
Life is crazy.

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The Big Sick (2017)

What is it about?

The true story of Pakistani-born, Kumail Nanjiani who falls in love with Emily. After she becomes ill with a mysterious illness, Kumail must come to grips with various truths and culture clashes he's been avoiding. 
Who is in it? 
Kumail Nunjiani - Kumail
Emily - Zoe Kazan
Holly Hunter - Beth
Ray Romano - Terry

The Pondering 10 - All-Time Favorite Championship Belts

With the WWE finally moving on from the ridiculousness that was the appearance of the WWE championship (Really, they kept a spinning title for eight years), and of course the unveiling the look of the title, it got the wheels turning on the best looks for championship belts. From pro wrestling, boxing (although, don't expect to see any on this list as they are usually ugly), and mixed martial arts, there are plenty of different models, types, and appearances that come with them. The following Pondering 10 list is my favorite all-time championship belts.