Skip to main content

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Whiplash (2014)

What is it about? 

A gifted drummer enrolls in one of the most prestigious music conservatories in the world where his desire to be great is met and mentored by an instructor who stops at nothing to bring out his potential. 

Who is in it?

Miles Teller - Andrew Nieman

J.K. Simmons - Terrence Fletcher

Favorite Scene: 

After Fletcher brings a third drummer into the folder for an upcoming part, he has the three drummers battle well into the middle of the night to decide who will win it. In reality, Fletcher was simply using the other two drummers to push Andrew. 

Favorite Quote:

"There are no two words in the English language more harmful than "good job".

"So, imagine if Jones had just said, "Well, that's okay, Charlie. That was all right. Good job." So Charlie thinks to himself, "Well, sh*t, I did do a pretty good job." End of story. No Bird. That to me is an absolute tragedy. But that's just what the world wants now. And they wonder why jazz is dying."

Review: 

I absolutely love Whiplash. Upon one viewing, it skyrocketed to my list of favorite movies. I know that's high praise immediately in the review, but this film was absolutely terrific. 

First, let's talk J.K. Simmons who is by far the most important reason to watch Whiplash. An excellent, excellent job in his role as intimidating instructor, Terrence Fletcher. Quite frankly, it's up there with one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. No, hyperbole. Really - ever - seen. 

My greatest draw to the film is in fact the character of Terrence Fletcher and his psychological edge. Especially, when the only smile he breaks while conducting was in Andrew's last performance. It really makes you wonder, was Fletcher really a cruel person? Or a mad genius?

Then of course comes the cinematography and camera angles that lend to the personality of the film, making it personal, and grips you towards the struggle of both men and they look to find something deep within that has zero measure - Andrew's unique drive and passion. 

All in all, my words can't do this justice. Absolutely a favorite of mine. 

Review: 5/5 What did you expect?

Recently Read Posts

Dope Sports Threads - 2017 MLB All-Star Break

You knew I had to post on everything aesthetic during the MLB All-Star Break festivities. I just had to! Yes, I am a nerd for this stuff - always have been, always will be. And unlike some baseball fans, the All-Star Break is still must-see for me. I enjoy the Home Run Derby. I enjoy the All-Star Game. I appreciate seeing the guys enjoy the game that I love as well.

I'll leave my continued feelings (and rants) for fans who continue to push back against the progression of the game of baseball. For now, I'll just leave it be. I'm sure the rest of this post may drive them nuts too. Oh well. Here are some things that caught my eye this week:

4:44 - Jay-Z Pulls Me Back

I admit it. At one point, this Brooklyn-born-and-raised guy who narrated his growth to the tunes of one Jay-Z, believed that those days were gone. Over the last two or three albums, I sort of gave up on Jay-z being that voice that I can identify with. That voice that always speaks and holds truth to what I can relate to. Upon growing into a possible billionaire, and rapping about having money and whatever it was, I was one of those fans who decided, you know, will just listen to the hits. 
Partly, I was disappointed. He went from reaching in and representing the inner city heart of anyone who understood the words and sounds beyond just the catchy hooks and killer beats of what mainstream (and white) America heard.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 7/16/17

3 Up 
1. Surprised Mother/Bride - I'm not one for sappy stories, but I am a sucker for a good story that reflects the circle of life, and the meaning of everything happening for a reason. Give this story a quick read - a mother who recently lost her son, has the recipient of her son's heart in a transplant show up at her wedding. Good stuff. Just good stuff. 
2. MLB All-Star Break - The MLB hit it out of the park earlier this week with an amazing time that included an awesome Home Run Derby, and some shenanigans that made for a good All-Star Game.
2A. Aaron Judge - Kudos to the big man for not only going along with the budding hype, but adding some legitimacy to it with that Home Run Derby performance. 
3. Roger Federer - Another Wimbledon Championship for the vet as he continues to hold off the young flock on the rise, yet continuing to add to an already super impressive legacy. 
3 Down
1. Donald Trump Jr. Situation - And...politics is back on the list. The continuing Russia p…

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…