Skip to main content

Syracuse "Self-Imposed Ban" is Disingenuous


Disingenuous is the only word that comes to mind whenever I think about the recent "Self-imposed ban" by the Syracuse University Athletics department. Even as a member and a professional employee of the NCAA umbrella, it's the kind of situation that bothers me so much about the NCAA, and some collegiate sports specifically, basketball and football. The schools which do very little to educate or prepare it's student-athletes on the merits of the program while cheating and breaking the rules of the governing body it is under. 

I'll try not to get on my soap box on this one, but let's be honest, there are a lot of schools out there who break the NCAA rules, not just Syracuse. I'm not naive. However, in respect to the many friends and family I have in the Central New York area who love SU Athletics - and they should - the University's conduct in these findings are gross, negligible, and outright disrespectful to their fans and community.
With that said, there are some quick thoughts I pulled away from this latest situation regarding Syracuse University: 

Boeheim is STILL Boeheim

Jim Boeheim is a good coach. Some critics need to relax on attempting to tarnish the coach's legacy with this recent development. Academic Affairs Departments relay eligibility of players to Athletics, and it is very possible that is where they may have been the mix-up. Athletics can only go on what they are told when it comes to grades, eligibility, and NCAA regulations. 

However, while I will always knock Boeheim for rarely graduating players and never really winning with meaning (his 950+ wins are vastly empty compared to say a Coach K or some other coaches with lesser career wins, just my opinion), trying to overtly pin this all on him is quite the slippery slope. Did he benefit from this? Sure. But let's settle down with the off-the-cliff claims until further information is revealed. 

Fan Responsibility

An average price of $80 for tickets to see the Syracuse Men's Basketball team in a building that is one of the most outdated in all sports in this nation, not to mention to sit on bleachers for your gaming comfort, is quite the sham the University pulls off. I'll say it over and over and over and over. And I will always feel for the Syracuse faithful, who, because of the unconditional and fevered support they show to the team and the University, are gouged for their dollar. And this is coming from a resident of New York City. I get supply and demand. But with no other viable competition, and for a market that is less timid and critical than other areas when it comes to their sporting critiques, the University can get away with it. 

Syracuse owes their fans, even more so following this ordeal. Especially the season-ticket holders who outright support the team. Coach Boeheim had some ridiculous excuse regarding the situation recently that simply exasperated the situation. And though defended him a few lines above, his reasoning was troubling to read. Telling your fan base that a home game versus Virginia Tech is worth more than the hope of being a part of a winning season is just crazy. 

However long this ban will be once the NCAA hammer comes down, The University owes the fans. Reduced tickets, lowered parking, a free Dome dog - SOMETHING, ANYTHING!

Right Time to Take the Hit

Yes, I'm on board in the belief Syracuse decided to take this ban because A) it may influence the NCAA to issue a softer blow, and B) They aren't having the best season. Were they completely out of it? No. However, what is the chance that this year's club would make a run for a NCAA title? 

I'm just at the belief that any program being investigated for what they are being accused of aren't above doing such a thing. And to be quite frank, the timing is indeed dubious. Middle of the season? C'mon! If  they played out the string and had taken the ban next year, that would have been impressive. 

Regardless, it's too suspicious for me. And as I stated above - soooooooo disingenuous. The Knicks should use that excuse..."self-ban from the playoffs". Yeah, that's it. 

and finally...

What About The Kids, Man? 

This is the thing that bothers me about this situation more than ever. Why do these current student-athletes have to take the hit for a University and program who can't follow the rules or keep their you-know-what together? 

For a guy like Rakeem Christmas, it's a shame he cannot continue to improve through the ACC tournament and hopefully one last appearance in March. It's not fair to him, to the rest of a group who were not around during these violations, and definitely for the University to punish this group to save their own behinds. 

I would like to see the NCAA add to the rule book the opportunity for student-athletes to transfer without penalty whenever programs come under violations or even "self-imposed" bans like this. All of Syracuse players should have the right to transfer following this season. That includes 2015-16 commits. 

I can't say it enough, this "self-imposed ban" is egregious and disingenuous in so many ways. It makes Syracuse look terrible, and quite honestly, they have no one to blame but themselves. 

For shame Syracuse University, for shame. 

Recently Read Posts

4:44 - Jay-Z Pulls Me Back

I admit it. At one point, this Brooklyn-born-and-raised guy who narrated his growth to the tunes of one Jay-Z, believed that those days were gone. Over the last two or three albums, I sort of gave up on Jay-z being that voice that I can identify with. That voice that always speaks and holds truth to what I can relate to. Upon growing into a possible billionaire, and rapping about having money and whatever it was, I was one of those fans who decided, you know, will just listen to the hits. 
Partly, I was disappointed. He went from reaching in and representing the inner city heart of anyone who understood the words and sounds beyond just the catchy hooks and killer beats of what mainstream (and white) America heard.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 7/16/17

3 Up 
1. Surprised Mother/Bride - I'm not one for sappy stories, but I am a sucker for a good story that reflects the circle of life, and the meaning of everything happening for a reason. Give this story a quick read - a mother who recently lost her son, has the recipient of her son's heart in a transplant show up at her wedding. Good stuff. Just good stuff. 
2. MLB All-Star Break - The MLB hit it out of the park earlier this week with an amazing time that included an awesome Home Run Derby, and some shenanigans that made for a good All-Star Game.
2A. Aaron Judge - Kudos to the big man for not only going along with the budding hype, but adding some legitimacy to it with that Home Run Derby performance. 
3. Roger Federer - Another Wimbledon Championship for the vet as he continues to hold off the young flock on the rise, yet continuing to add to an already super impressive legacy. 
3 Down
1. Donald Trump Jr. Situation - And...politics is back on the list. The continuing Russia p…

Dope Sports Threads - 2017 MLB All-Star Break

You knew I had to post on everything aesthetic during the MLB All-Star Break festivities. I just had to! Yes, I am a nerd for this stuff - always have been, always will be. And unlike some baseball fans, the All-Star Break is still must-see for me. I enjoy the Home Run Derby. I enjoy the All-Star Game. I appreciate seeing the guys enjoy the game that I love as well.

I'll leave my continued feelings (and rants) for fans who continue to push back against the progression of the game of baseball. For now, I'll just leave it be. I'm sure the rest of this post may drive them nuts too. Oh well. Here are some things that caught my eye this week:

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…