Skip to main content

World Wrestling Not Entertained


I can't remember the last time I've been this disinterested in pro wrestling, especially the product of WWE. The company that has made "entertainment" the focal point and philosophy of it's wrestling company has been anything but over the past few months. I have gone from being interested in a few talents or story lines, to holding out hope for others, to now just being done altogether. No hope. No interest. 

By no means am I looking to pile on like some wrestling fans do with the negativity, the arm chair booking, and the constant hindsight "told you so" critique. I'm just being honest, simple, and well...a fan. The WWE is just not entertaining.

Maybe it was shortly after WCW and ECW died, and WWE began its mega-monopoly on the wrestling industry. The product then just had a coy, yet arrogant feeling of being in cruise control. Almost to the point of not even trying and living off of their Monday Night War's victory.

Today, not much is different from that period well over a decade ago. At least in my opinion. Raw is three hours (which is wayyy too long) of repetitiveness, nothingness, and emptiness. Besides other various underlying issues that contribute to a boring product, the void of relevancy or urgency to watch is my biggest gripe with the product. Nothing happens. Ever. At all. 

Well, except for a Paul Heyman promo. And how sad is that?

For a company with so many hours of television and loads and loads of talent, the product is the same deal for every Raw and Smackdown (seriously, who watches that show now?). We get the same matches and rematches, and again, nothing happens.

We get Cena. We get Orton. We get "The Authority". We get one major story line. And then the rest is of random matches with no back story, no foreshadowing, or without any sort of purpose in storytelling. If that wasn't harming enough, the WWE also throws in ridiculous attempts at comedy and constant sales pitches for the WWE Network and the Total Divas show. 

Personally, I don't need a certain format, or specific talents to be in certain positions, or even a certain style of television. I am a simple wrestling fan. Just give me wrestling. Give me story lines. Give me intrigue. And Give me a reason to tune in next week!

I want to feel like I can't miss a show. 

Unfortunately, heading into the WWE's last pay-per-view, Night of Champions, I barely caught Raw, and if I did, it was with the heavy guide of a fast forward button and my DVR. Regardless, I watched the show and I really didn't feel as if I missed anything. Nor did it make me want to tune in for more on the next night's edition of Monday Night Raw.

I haven't watched a second of Raw in three weeks since. I'm that disinterested. To make things even worse, Raw is literally 15 minutes away this Monday night inside the Barclays Center here in Brooklyn, and I have no interest in attending. None.

I'm at the point where I feel if the WWE wants my time and attention, they need to earn it. And for a fan of the company since I was three (twenty-six years ago), I'm a bit disheartened how they've burned out their equity with me, with this longtime fan.

I feel insulted as of late. I feel cheapened. I feel like all the WWE wants from me right now is my $9.99 a month for a Network filled with content that puts their current product to shame. They're not even trying to truly engage. So you know what? Why should I? 

Recently Read Posts

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 9/17/17

3 Up
1. JJ Wyatt - Not only has the man raised over $37M for Hurricane Harvey relief, but unlike many of the various charities we have become accustomed to, Wyatt is very transparent in how he will spend the money, and what he plans to do. Still in such awe of this. 
2. Tim Duncan - In the same spectrum as Wyatt is one of my favorite athletes, Tim Duncan. A native from the US Virgin Islands, Tim Duncan has been instrumental in Hurricane Irma relief by donating 20,000 pounds of food to the area. Such awesome stories in the midst of all these Natural disasters. The power of the human spirit is so great. 
3. Cleveland Indians - 22 Baseball games in a row. The Indians record winning-streak came to an end  this week, but it is damn impressive. Are they NOT the choice to make it back to the World Series from the American League? 
3 Down
1. London Attacks - SMH on these terrorists attacks. My heart goes out to those affected by more senselessness in the world. 
2. White House on Jemele Hill -…

Dope Sports Threads - Nike NBA Uniforms

When Nike was announced as the new provider of the NBA uniforms, formerly designed by Adidas, I was very intrigued on what the super creative company would do. The team of Adidas and the NBA always felt a little...well, off. Nothing wrong with either brand, they just don't seem like a good fit for one another. Hence, we got jerseys with sleeves and such under their term. 
Go back to soccer, Adidas. It's where you shine. 
Enter, Nike. And this is the perfect fit for the NBA. And thus far, the designs, names of uniforms, and feel for the upcoming aesthetics within the NBA is awesome. Again, Nike just doing Nike things. 
With the the new uniforms, as always, here are a few notes on the latest:

Pondering Picture #82

It's Welcome Week at the institution that I work at, and it's been quite the hectic week of meeting, greeting, and providing programming for new students. I'm also continuously amazed at the amount of international students we have, and the hearing the journey and testimony of their road to this point in their lives. 
Despite the rigorous joy, I sort of miss that peace of hiking the Ithaca, NY area just before this time. Loved chasing waterfalls...
Sorry TLC.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 9/3/17

3 Up
1. J.J. Watt - What started out as a mere fundraiser for Houston with a goal of a few hundred thousand dollars has turned into a mega-story with Watt raising over $18M for Harvey relief in Houston. Watt deserves so much credit. An athlete truly in-tune with his city and community. And really, one that just does good for others. 
2. Frances Tiafoe - Monday night's 1st round opener against Roger Federer was absolutely classic. The 19 year-old American took the great Federer into the final moments of a fifth set with some serious swag. Tiafoe surely made a name for himself, and I'll definitely be looking for him in the future. 
3. Yale University - Look, I'm all for changing names and tearing down statues of people who don't deserve it - like, those who really don't deserve it. Not because of our distorted version of history. Kudos to Yale taking a step in this direction removing Calhoun, a big time slavery advocate, as a name from one of their buildings. 
3 Down