Skip to main content

WWE Battleground 2014: Usos vs. The Wyatts, and Well, Just Get Ready For SummerSlam!


I really didn't have much interest in WWE Battleground last night. It just felt like another WWE PPV with another new name that really didn't have much meaning other than stamping another event with a pointless description until SummerSlam. And to be honest, the recent string of WWE TV hasn't been the most entertaining in my eyes. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't been excited. Just meh. WWE just seems to be spinning their wheels a midst the doldrums of complacency and pitching the WWE Network every chance they have. 

Nonetheless, WWE Battleground wasn't all that terrible in my eyes. Here are some quick thoughts from last night's event:

- As I say all the time with the WWE, the panel is such a good idea. Renee Young and Alex Riley really are perfect for the gig. I honestly wouldn't mind if they had a solid panel and really sold the upcoming pay-per-view with thoughts and hype rather than run of the mill matches in the pre-show. Again, probably just me. 

Speaking of the panel, as soon as Riley and Christian chose Reigns, and Booker T went with Orton, by order of fan rationale, you knew Kane had no shot, therefore, we all knew we were in for another Cena-overcomes sort of night. 
Just Awesome...
(Courtesy: WWE.com)

- The Usos vs. The Wyatts was downright awesome. Not the lazy let's chant "this is awesome" for a semi-entertaining match type of awesome, but this one was absolutely fantastic. Quite possibly, my favorite match of the year. I love tag team wrestling, and while the concept continues to gain momentum once again in pro wrestling, this was a treat. 

And yes, Luke Harper will definitely be a superstar for the company one day. I can't guarantee that, but lets hope so as the big man can definitely bring it. 


- The Paige vs. AJ Lee deal has been utterly confusing to me. They're friends, but enemies, but whatever. Disregarding the background, both women worked hard in putting on a good match. I'm a fan of Paige, she is very athletic and adds a different dynamic to the divas, but ever since debuting, there really hasn't been much to her. It's been a bit of disservice to her in he character development spectrum.  

- Michael Cole might be annoying to some, but you absolutely cannot deny his ability to tell a story, get over or call a wrestler's finisher and put it over as a big deal, as well as brand their signature moves and such for each wrestler/character. The guys in TNA and ROH pale in comparison to Cole in this aspect. 

- I get the whole Rusev versus Jack Swagger feud, and I understand that it was running at a time when more serious and tragic events are happening in the real world that reflect the story being told. However, it was rather disgusting to see the WWE play up the character by discussing "recent events" as Lana put it. I'm sorry, TV or not, it's a bit too soon and very much in poor taste to go there. And the Vladmir Putin mentions has to stop for now. 

Nonetheless, I like Rusev. Big, quick, and athletic. Despite the above comments, the whole Ivan Drago deal is a great gimmick. As for Swagger, I struggle with understanding the WWE when they suddenly want you to take a guy seriously after months of doing absolutely nothing. More on that in a bit. 


- Goldust and Stardust - in my opinion, is not very good. Goldust is Goldust. It's an epic character. Stardust diminishes it and well, it's just stupid. Just bloggin...

Rollins looks like a wannabe super hero
(Courtesy: WWE.com)

- As for Rollins vs. Ambrose, I'm not a fan of bait and switch on PPVs. It's fine on Raw, Smackdown or regular TV, but if we should invest our time in this, you ought to deliver. Especially, when you're already making it obviously clear SummerSlam is the target. Sure there was a brawl, but the whole thing felt cheap. I'm sure the paying customer in the arena was as well. 

Also, Rolins' gear is awful. Just...well, awful. 

As for Ambrose, the guy reminds me of a modern "Rowdy" Roddy Piper with the explosive personality. While not a fan of the bait and switch for the match, I enjoyed the brawl. Yes, I understand, this is just a hold over until SummerSlam. Poor Tampa, Florida. 

- I'm a huge Jericho fan, and I'm glad to see he is back. At this point, he doesn't need any big wins. I wasn't buying this feud in how Cole described, "as personal as it gets", but such is WWE hyperbole. He tried. Yet, at the end of the match, I could not help but wonder how much the breaks have been put on Bray Wyatt's ascent. Wyatt had so much going. What happened? 


- The Battle Royal was fun. It was also a reminder of guys on the roster who haven't done anything in months, possibly years (Ryder?). Once again, I don't hate The Miz. But, seriously, Miz wins? After months of obscurity, now he's serious? Again, I just don't get it. 

"Let me walk you back over to get eliminated for good"
(Courtesy: WWE.com)

Also,  with the mention of being in and out of obscurity, what exactly is Alberto Del Rio these days other than a filler?


And even more on obscurity, is Heath Slater finally in line for a run after eliminating Cesaro? 

I'm over the Kofi Kingston hot shotting and avoiding elimination in battle royals and/or Royal Rumbles. After all, didn't this latest "creative" avoidance make Big E look like a total buffoon for walking him back to the apron? I often times feel like the company wastes his athleticism, as well as Ziggler's, and one day it'll be too late. 

- The main event was decent, mostly due to the beast mode of Roman Reigns. Again, I just don't feel invested in the WWE's characters or storylines as of late. Orton, Kane, "The Authority". Eh. Major Eh. They just feel flat with the usual going on. Again, an entertaining match though with the expected ending, John Cena overcomes the odds. 

All in all, Battleground was just another bus stop (along with last month's PPV) on the road to SummerSlam, and we're now finally on our way. Hopefully, it's worth the ride. The next few weeks and SummerSlam should let us know very soon. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -