Skip to main content

No Winners on Hobby Lobby Ruling


To say the ruling regarding Hobby Lobby and it's participation in following the mandates of the Affordable Health Care act is a bit controversial might be accurate. OK, who am I kidding? Very accurate. The ruling has sparked plenty of debate and dialogue on whether businesses and institutions have the right to act against their beliefs by denying their employees contraceptives and other forms of birth control. 

I've always made it quite clear on this little slice of the internet called Dome Pondering that I am a Christian. I love Jesus. It's who I am. I'm not ashamed of that, nor afraid to say that to you and the world. If you decide to hate me or click that "x" in the upper right corner on this reading never to return to this site again because of this, then you never knew me at all. 

With that said, the current ruling has me perplexed and confused to be quite honest. I'm sure some are expecting me to be in total agreement of the ruling because of my faith. Surprise! Surprise! 

Truthfully, I'm torn. Actually, more like indifferent. Many of the components that make up this dialogue are indeed issues that bother me, and have bothered me for quite some time. And it seems these same components have now come to a head within this very issue. 

Let me further explain: 

I'm Not a Fan of the Affordable Health Care Act

I was weary of it when President Obama began his efforts to put this in motion (during a time when I felt job creation was more of an issue). I was less impressed with it when I learned about its offerings. And I'm not happy with it now that I've seen it in action. 

Again, being honest - watching my parents lose their health insurance coverage, precisely designed for their needs following their retirement was not an enjoyable experience. Now, having to watch the act continue to confuse health care privileges to our nation just compounds the feelings and frustration.

So yes, right off the bat, I'm already worked up...

Overreaction By Strong Liberals and Other Opposition

Let me lead this off by saying, I don't affiliate myself with any political party. I've voted for President Bush in the past - twice, and have now done so for President Obama - twice. I still believe both men were the best candidates for the job at the time of their election. Again, just my opinion. Just bloggin. There is plenty of room for debate on this, of course.

Nonetheless, if I had to accurately position myself on the ever-so-popular political meter, and I would say I'm a hash past the center leaning towards the right. 

However, I find it utterly frustrating to see strong liberals, who are always touting appreciation and tolerance for others, suddenly now in favor of forcing businesses against their religious convictions. Groups as always, are clamoring for "separation of church and state" and are somehow even tying other hot button topics of their interest, for another agenda, to the issue. It's a bit out of control. 

This of course leads me too...

Christian Bashing

Ah yes, something which has become very common in our nation today. Other religions do it. The gay community uses it to fuel their agendas, atheists are motivated by it, and our common society similarly disregards it. 

Now don't get me wrong, there are many situations where the Christian community has done this to ourselves, namely the handling of gay rights issues when it was at the forefront. Again, I'l be the first one to say the Christian comunity handled that utterly poorly. Of course, it didn't help that the media had the Westboro Baptist Chruch of all people represent the faith, but that's all water under the bridge, for now.

As always, Christians will take the beating here for Hobby Lobby, a store whose only tie to the faith is being closed on Sunday it seems. 

Now I won't judge, but I will say, it is time the Christian community recognizes how the nation views us, regardless of the ruling. Hobby Lobby is using a banner that we all hold sacred to skimp out on saving their bottom line benefits cost for their employees. All the outside world sees is "they don't work on Sundays" and "they do not pay for birth control". Apparently, that is what Christianity has boiled down to. So sad. My heart burns just typing that. 

Regardless of the outcome, it's time we woke up and realize the damage that is being done to our faith. 

Funny thing is, so much rhetoric is discussed on this topic regarding "religious freedom", yet there is none in this situation. At all. For anyone involved. 

Hobby Lobby Laboring

Of course, on the other side of this, I can't quite wrap my mind around this fact: why would anyone, who so strongly disagrees with the beliefs of a company, willingly seek out employment from such company, and expect anything different than their current position? 

I don't get it. 

Accountability

This might tie in again to the issues with the Affordable Healthcare Act, but when did birth control become a "right". Not to sound chauvinistic and heartless, but I cannot understand why tax dollars "ought to" provide coverage for that. Secondly, why are "women's issues" in politics always and ONLY tied to birth control? As if their sole purpose in life is for human reproduction. Seriously! I think we've all degraded the value of women in our nation and society. My wife. My mother. My female friends. All of them, are much more than just what happens inside of their uterus. I think it's time we stop marginalizing these issues. 

Getting back on topic, look, if you don't want to have a baby, buy your own birth control. Simple as that. I strongly believe the nation isn't responsible in paying to make sure you're responsible. Take accountability!

But then again, we spend so much effort, time, and political focus on preventing life and presenting it as a medical necessity in this country rather than celebrating and creating it. Go figure. 

I'm not sure how that's just a "woman" problem. It's a problem for all of us.

All in all, It just seems like the Hobby Lobby decision threw soil in an already muddy pool of water. I truly beleive this does no favors to either side. No political party. No belief structure. No American citizen. Things are more confusing than ever. "Religious freedom" has a new watered down meaning. Christianity gets punched in the stomach one more time by the public and press, "women's issues" are stigmatized even deeper, and accountability for all of us in society goes further down the tubes. 

No one wins. Just more shouting, finger pointing, and agenda slinging from all sides. 

Recent Favorites

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 3/17/24

3 Up 1. Virginia Ends Legacy Admissions - There is the obvious on this, right? Like, why is this even a thing to begin with? I'm very curious to see the effects of this in Virginia. For all of the discussion on race-equity-based admissions, and affirmative-action measures, legacy admissions have long gone without scrutiny.  2. Kyrie Irving Buzzer-Beater - Look, this is at #2 for mere appreciation of basketball - at the purity and poetry of it. Irving, arguably the most skilled player ever (despite his actions and your opinions of him) hit a game-winning left-handed (!!) hook shot from 16 feet out to win a game. It's simply unreal. It's a thing of beauty (and such difficulty!).  I'm headed out to the driveway to try it - we all know you will too.  3. COVID Anniversary - Ah yes, we'll continue to remember mid-March for COVID. But let it now steer you away from other thoughts on how the world was reduced to essentials. Let's never lose that outlook.  3 Down 1. Bo

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"