Skip to main content

2014 Bucket List - #23 Do 50 Consecutive Pushups

 

Pushups were once a dreadful task for me to do. Throughout High School, with a 6'5'' frame that I wasn't close to even filling out, I was lucky to push some of my body off the floor with my wiry arms. Obviously, as I got older, I got stronger. And as I became more educated, thanks largely to a Master's degree, and bunch of money to get said degree, in the sports sciences, I learned the the proper way to weight train and build lean muscle.

So as 2014 came about, unlike others who have goals to go to the gym more often, my goal became to fill the void days in which I'm unable to get to the gym. You know, for those pesky days when I get home late from work, it's snowing outside, or a task to fill my "rest" days.

So with that said, I decided to jump at the task of not only attempting to get better at pushups, but to one day be able to bang out 50 in a row courtesy of one of my favorite fitness websites - neilaraey.com. For those of you who are super strong, don't laugh. Those who can't, no fear, I added the workout plan below for your review:




I followed the plan to a tee. 30 days. A nice gradual progression towards first elongating your muscles and eventually developing for strength. I did the pushups either at night or when I got up in the morning depending on how hectic my schedule was, but I completed all thirty days. Needless to say, this past week I was able to bang out fifty pushups in a row. And yes, I do feel much stronger, leaner, and much healthier because of it's effects on my core. 

In fact, I'm already searching for more challenges and for more ways to improve on my pushup max.

Give it a whirl. A Great way to stay motivated when you just can't get to the gym (Although prep accordingly on days you will be going. Doubling-up was tough). After all, there are very little excuses you can have with such a challenge. 

#23, Do fifty consecutive pushups. Completed. Boom.

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.