Skip to main content

Year Two And Still Being Us

This past week was my second wedding anniversary. DP devotees are familiar with the "Unity Road Writings" and the importance of the date, September 24th. It's actually quite shocking how fast two years have crept up on the tag team partner and I. It is so often said in terms of the linear measurement that is time, but it really does feel like yesterday was 9.24. The 9.24. 

Yet, here we are, two years removed. Two years growing. Two years stronger. 

And even as the second calendar year passes since we exchanged "I do's", nothing has given me more faith in the strength, peculiarity, and awesomeness that is our marriage moreso than this very anniversary. An anniversary in which yours truly actually did not see his wife. 

Wait. What?

Yes, on September 24th, 2013 - our second anniversary - I did not see my wife. At all.

I woke up. She was already off to work. I worked late, and returned home after midnight. 9.24 over. 

Adding to the week is the fact that yours truly worked almost 80 hours this week. With many of those hours at home staying up late at night. Really, 9.24 came and went without much of a celebration. Just a few post it notes over the archway in our apartment along with a note left for her in our office area. 

In fact, we celebrated several days later with pizza, wings, and beer on Saturday night while watching re-runs of The Big Bang Theory and new episodes of Parks and Recreation and Law And Order: SVU. After long weeks for the both of us, going out just didn't seem in the cards. Not exactly the most romantic anniversary dinner, but one that I could honestly say is just well...just us.

In a brutal work week where there was little time to make a big fuss about things, once again this quirky relationship that we have came to fruition. No need to be cliche. No need to over-plan to create or fabricate something special. Or really, no need to measure ourselves against other couples, or what external factors pressure us to do.

No. During this week, I was reassured that I have a pretty awesome wife who understands and respects the work that I put into my craft - my career. And at the same time, I do the same as well when it comes to hers. And in the end, all that matters is that we realize that it doesn't matter what others expect of us, just as long as we continue to do what makes us, us. Whether that is a nice dinner out on the town and a walk under the Brooklyn Bridge, or just lounging at home with one another eating pizza, drinking some brews, talking about everything, and sharing lots of laughs.

Let's be honest, if that very situation occurred between some in their relationship, it would be a smoking keg before something bad happens. Once again, I have a pretty awesome wife. And couldn't ask for a better relationship where rationale and being true to ourselves trumps selfish desires and gimmicky celebrations.

I wouldn't trade this anniversary celebration for anything. To some it might seem pretty lame, or maybe your average Saturday night. But to me, it's so much more. Oh, so much more. It's the perfect example of us not changing at all.

Still weird as ever. Doing what we do. Because it's what makes us, us.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -