Skip to main content

Another Heat Title Leaving Jordan-like Impressions


Not one, but now two. Championships for the Miami Heat and LeBron James are no longer a blip in history, but is now looking like a severe impression. I'm not one that likes to get into the long-winded debates you often seen on sports TV about foreshadowing and legacies, because quite frankly, that stuff will eventually play out. It always does. And while we are on it, I very much dislike the new trendy bar of valuing an athlete's ability and worth by how many championships they've won. It's stupid. Very stupid. Teams win championships, not individuals. 

Nonetheless, while I type these words, I find myself a bit dejected in the idea of watching yet another Miami Heat championship. I don't hate LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, or even Chris Bosh. In fact, Chris Bosh often doesn't get the praise that he should for the sacrifices he makes and other various efforts gone unnoticed. Some will disagree with that, but I digress...

However, I am dejected at the idea of now being reminded of those painful years of watching the Chicago Bulls reign over everyone. Years in which my Knicks en route for a championship year after year having that door named "Chicago Bulls" slammed in their face. Years of watching the Bulls bandwagon swell to epic proportions, and feeling as if my Knicks had no shot against an immovable force. Years of disliking Bulls "fans", yet years of respecting Michael Jordan.

Those are times that seem to be repeating right now. This new impression in sports history.  


Honestly, I am also super jealous of watching a terrible sports town who were given the gift of a once-in-a-lifetime team treat it as vanity (showing up late, leaving early? C'mon!) while I still struggle with heartbreak in a world of extreme hope and "we'll win it next year" optimism. I'm annoyed with fraudbags, otherwise know as bandwagoners, who suddenly are now "devoted Heat fans" and have suddenly jumped aboard this movement in support of LeBron James in some defensive army against "his haters".

I respect James and enjoy watching him play. But don't kid yourselves now that the Kool-Aid is sweet, James hasn't been this innocent choir boy all along. 

Such fans include a security guard at my place of employment who told me that he was a Heat fan, to which I responded, "Yeah? How long have you been a fan?". He unashamedly responded, "Once Kobe and the Lakers stopped winning, I started rooting for the Heat" 

And of course, my annoyance is heightened by my new neighbors, who have let the whole seventh floor know of their bandwagoning ways as they react to each Heat moment. 

Disgusting and appalling to the Robo household. Very much so.  

Finally, it hurts a bit because Tim Duncan is, and remains, one of my favorite players in the NBA. I've always, in a contrarian way, been a fan of the game's "big man." Maybe it's because I grew up liking Patrick Ewing. Or maybe because I've always been rather tall for my age growing up and can somewhat relate. I don't know. Whatever. Either way, watching Duncan try to put his missed bunny into words during the post-game presser was hard to watch. You know...you just know, that Game Six will stay with him forever, and that missed shot in Game 7 will as well. It's quite horrifying to think about. 

However, I'm not a total hater. Nor am I Skip Bayless, who is really the equivalent of The Jersey Shore in the Sports world - so outrageous, you feel guilty for even paying attention. I appreciate the season the Miami Heat had, especially, the 27-game streak, the Eastern Conference Finals series, and of course, The NBA Finals. And yes, the efforts of one, LeBron James. 



It's scary how good he is, and will continue to become. Especially, after living through the nightmare that was Michael Jordan. But I'm not saying anything here you don't already know. It's really hard to capture what LeBron James means to basketball, and what he means to sports as a whole right now. It really is. 

Ultimately, all of these feelings come down to this: I dislike fraudbag fans. I respect LeBron James. However, I will still overwhelmingly root against him, especially when he plays my Knicks.

Sounds too much like my feelings towards MJ, right? 

Impression made, indeed.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -