Skip to main content

Birthday Ramblings on 28

Well, it's my birthday. And yes, I too hear Fifty Cents, "In Da Club" when I wrote that statement. "Go, go, go, shawty, it's yo birthday, we gon' party like it's yo birthday!" Nonetheless, yours truly is one year older, and one year wiser (I think?) at the age of twenty-eight years old. 

In the past two years, I've had the posts of "What Does (Fill in Age Here) Mean?" (What Does 26 Mean?) (What Does 27 Mean?) Quite frankly, I didn't want to go that route this year for the age of twenty eight. And the truth is, I'm not sure if I could if I wanted to. 

Twenty-eight feels awesome. It really does. It still hasn't hit me as of yet, but when it does, I'm not sure if I will have the same amount of life convictions the way I did about the previous two years. I can pose the same question this year - what does 28 mean? -  and instead, literally be searching for answer myself.

Maybe twenty eight has no meaning. It's just what it is. Just another year. Or maybe it's just an extension of 27? A small part of an entire period that leads until the next big step of 30. I don't Know. I really don't, as I'm going on the fly here. Something that could be, and has proven to be highly dangerous for the DP. 

Whatever it is, today as I sit here and punch the keys the way I have over the past few years on May 25ths (New Beginnings), each year having distinct checkpoints in my life, I literally have nothing to focus on in my life. Instead, I sit here and think about my family, my friends, and my wonderful wife. 

Maybe in the wake of watching coverage of the devastation left behind after those wicked tornadoes ran through Moore, Oklahoma, self-evaluation feels shameful. Self-evaluation feels small. Self evaluation feels like it's over-thinking it all. And reacting with the heart is the best evaluation, solution, and reaction to any devastation or situation. You know, the way Kevin Durant did.

[Side Blog: I find it weird that two years ago when I turned 26, the recent tornadoes and devastation in Joplin, Missouri forced similar thoughts on my birthday.]

[Side, Side Blog: How awesome was the donation and efforts of Kevin Durant? Donating $1 Million for tornado relief is such an inspirational offer, not to mention the time he took to visit the site, meet those greatly affected, and has offered to return as well. Much kudos to KD!] 

At twenty-eight, maybe it's a realization that even with thirty on the horizon, certain expectations from life really are insignificant and small. Like the inevitable comparison of your existing life to that of what you projected life to be at this point back when you were twenty one, because you know, you had it all figured out back then. After all, didn't we all?

Or heck, maybe like that confidence-crushing-comparison of your life to others at that point in time. Since we all fall for the grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side syndrome from time-to-time. 

Sometimes, a birthday, a celebration, an age, can be as simple as what it is. Another year on this earth. Another year of being blessed. 

Can 28 be as simple as count your blessings and celebrate life?

I think it very much is. 

Happy Birthday to me...and to all of you, belated or coming, as well.

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.