Skip to main content

True Tales From Parks and Recreation - Dog Gang Running Wild


I've mentioned here on the DP a couple of times what I do for a living. For you new DP devotees, or those that have simply forgotten (shame on you!), currently I work for a park slowly in continuing development in Manhattan that is five miles along the waterfront of the Hudson River. As a Public Programs Coordinator, yours truly handles anything public related in regards to permitting (athletic facilities, film shoots, photo shoots, weddings, and other small gatherings), and of course, dealing with any questions or inquiries from the public. As part of my job, I am very much accessible to the public through the park's info e-mail line, or even a phone call a way. 

With that said, over the past two-plus years in this position, I have come to find that dealing with the public can be downright interesting at times. From e-mails, phone calls, or interaction when out in the public, yours truly has had some interesting interactions with the general public. So far, this job has taught me that people are simply crazy. Really, really, really, crazy!

With that said, the following series will present stories, e-mails, phone calls, conversations, interactions, and sights I've seen from the people of New York City in regards to a public park. And yes, these are all real! And are all true!

Welcome to a little snippet of Parks and Recreation.

As my first entry for this series, I want to share with you one of my favorite e-mails that I've received from the INFO inbox. If there is one thing I learned from working in parks and recreation is that some people take their dogs very seriously. Wayyyyyyyy too seriously! I'm not the biggest animal enthusiast, so my cynicism is that much more enhanced on hearing some of these complaints. 

For this e-mail, here is a little background information. Throughout the park we have several dog runs which provide a place for dog owners to bring their dogs to run around, play, and go unleashed for a bit. Basically the things normal dogs do that dogs in New York City really can't. Like any other amenity in our park, or pretty much any public park in America, you enter, use, and participate at your own risk. 

The following e-mail complaint flies in the face of that subtle rule:

The incident occurred approximately 12:30 PM. I entered the dog run with my dog, who is a 3 year old golden retriever. Present at the dog run were 3 gentlemen with the dogs. One was a pure bred bull terrier, another was a mix bull terrier and the third was mix pit bull. I've seen the pure bred bull terrier before and noticed it was a bit aggressive. I think I may have even said something to its owner, but I have to say, there are people who, when approached about their dog's aggressive behavior, take it as a personal affront and are very reticent to listen.

In any case, I entered the run and it seemed like all was ok, until one of the dog tried to get the ball out of my dogs mouth. My dog resisted, but not with any aggression. At this point (and it all happened so fast) the mix pit bull got a little more aggressive, but not to the point where there was serious problem. The problem occurred when the pure bred bull terrier and the mix bull terrier jumped (and  in trying to get the ball from my dog), attached him viciously. But I must say, it was the pure bred bull terrier who was  the most aggressive. He had my dog pinned down and was literally biting him everywhere. I jumped in and at this point the bull terrier had my dogs paw in his mouth. Honestly, he would ripped his paw off and killed the dog if its owner hadn't pulled him off at that very moment. During this struggle, the bull terrier also bit me on the hand. Luckily I was wearing gloves. However, when I removed my gloves I saw dog teeth marks on my hand, which is now black and blue. 
Sideblog: Must be one bad dog. It whooped another dog and it's owner! Somewhere that owner is like, "atta boy!"
This is one of the most frightening scenes I have ever witnessed. For one thing, this pure bred bull terrier, who is there almost every day at around 12 or 1 PM, should not be in the dog run. He didn't just attack my dog--he attacked me. 
Sideblog: Just have to hate those dogs that cut obedience classes and loiter at the same time and place looking for trouble.
I was able to leave the dog run with my dog, who was limping, bleeding and totally traumatized. I ended up having to take him to the vet, which cost me $255.00. The owner (in my opinion), was completely irresponsible. He made no gesture or offer of help in the event my dog should need medical attention, which he could clearly see, he would. What if there was a young child or baby in the run? These dogs were totally in the attack mode--especially the pure bred bull terrier. 
Sideblog: Now why would a baby be in the dog run? And this must be one of the dog gangs I've heard about terrorizing dog runs and parks all over the city.
I'd also like to mention that the dog run itself was not shoved. There was snow and ice everywhere, which made the situation that much more dangerous, because it took longer to get to the dogs when all this was occurring. I normally go to the ----. Which was shoveled and clean. Also, the people who go there are a lot more responsible for their dogs that the people who go to the  --- dog run.

In any case, I left the dog run shaken and my dog hurt and in total shock. I'd like to know what you intend to do about this. 
Not sure what she wanted us to do. Not even a detective could do anything with the crazy information included. All we know is there is Dog gang in Manhattan apparently lead by an irresponsible human. Great. She received the typical  "Thanks for your interest, unfortunately...yada...yada...yada.

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.