Skip to main content

365 Thought Provoking Questions. Answered: #290-305

290. What is the most enjoyable thing your family has done together in the last three years?

I think the most enjoyable thing my family has done together in the last three years was celebrating at my wedding. I don’t have a typical family as many of my relatives are spread out all over the world (Canada, UK, United States, Barbados, Bermuda, St. Vincent, Paraguay, etc…). Most of my life, it has been my parents, a few relatives that live nearby, and many close friends. My wedding had exactly that.

291. How many hours of television do you watch in a week?  A month?  A year?

I’m not a big fan of television shows as I rarely follow a specific show these days. It used to be Friday night Lights, but these days its pretty much reruns of Big Bang Theory or Cops (my guilty pleasure). Most of my TV time is made up of pro wrestling and sports. Obviously my hours will vary per sports season, but I will go with about 13 hours per week, 40 hours per month, and about 500 hours per year. Jeees, that definitely makes you think...


292. What is the biggest obstacle that stands in your way right now?

The biggest obstacle that stands in my way right now is figuring out what my next step in life is. It's always hard to know where your next calling is. Is it a new job? More volunteer work? Children? Or even simply staying put. Wanting to improve and progress as a person is natural (and needed), but discovering the correct progression is always tough. As of today, that mystery is my biggest obstacle. 

293. What do you sometimes pretend you understand that you really don’t?

Things my wife does. haha. Sounds mean, but I don't get women. I don't. Call me a typical guy, but I can admit it. Just shake your head yes, say you understand, and move on. 

...Now that that's out there, I'm in trouble! 

294. What do you like most about your job?  What do you dislike most about your job?

I love dealing with the public. It can be annoying at times, but the different people you meet, talk to, or even meet in the business of public parks and recreation keeps things fresh and new everyday. I also love working  around sports and sporting facilities, and the opportunity to help and be connected with many youth/adult programs, college athletic offices, and high school departments. 

What I dislike about my job is the confusing nature of working for the state and some of the people I work with in my office. There is a huge disconnect between some of our departments that should work together, and it makes for a very inefficient workplace.

295. What’s something new you recently learned about yourself?

That I'm actually a quick learner, if not, a dedicated one. Which is pretty ironic that it took me so long to learn that about myself. Go figure. 

I've essentially taught my self website coding in the past, and have recently picked up playing the guitar and have been making strides on that front as well. 

296. In one sentence, how would you describe your relationship with your mother?

A close as can be without crossing over into being annoyingly needy. 

297. What was the most defining moment in your life during this past year?

Easy, getting married. It was the culmination of many years prior to, and ultimately has set up the years afterwards. 

298. What’s the number one change you need to make in your life in the next twelve months?

Start taking more risks, and stop playing it safe in some areas of my life. 

299. What makes you feel secure?

That there is an almighty God in control. Always puts me back at ease when any situation or moment seems too big. 

300. What is your favorite sound?

There are a few. Hard to narrow it down. But off the top of my head as I type this, here they are: 
  • The sound of any muscle car's engine revving. 
  • The sound of a batter's swing and miss followed by the pop of the catcher's mitt.
  • The sound of an acoustic guitar. 
  • Hearing my favorite two announcers EVER, Harold Finkel and Bruce Buffer announce anything. (I secretly wanted them at my wedding)
  • Hearing Joe Buck's call from 1996, "...and the Yankees are champions of baseball" (always gives me goosebumps)
  • Mike Breen's signature call of either "Puts it in!" or "Baaaaaang!" on any big shot made. 
  • My wife's laugh

301. What are the top three qualities you look for in a friend?

Humility. Humor. Class. 

302. What simple gesture have you recently witnessed that renewed your hope in humanity?

A teenage boy who lives in my building and always plays basketball in the park across the street entered the lobby and held the elevator for me as I entered about thirty seconds afterwards. He claims he saw me coming, then asked what floor I was going to, punched the floor's button, and even called me sir. He got off be fore me and wished me a good night. 

Simple, yes. But after looking at where the next generation is going and how little the word "respect" is valued today among our youth, it was refreshing to see a young man exhibit such manners and respect. 

And of course, tons of credit to his parents, as I'm sure that's where he get's it from. Another renewed hope that there are still quality parents, especially with fathers in the household, that still exist. 

303. What is your favorite smell?

Easily, my mom's fried bakes

304. What recent memory makes you smile the most?

Recently on a trip in Long Island, my wife began yelling in annoyance at cars who were making a right turn at a red light. She hates drivers who either a. do not follow the law, b. are not courteous of their fellow drives, and c. that are oblivious to their surrounding. As the cars turned, because of the position of the sign and the passing cars in the right lane, you were only able to see half the sign which read, "No Right Turns". My wife, now on a roll in her annoyance, went as far as calling the drivers "stupid" (her word for maximum-level of annoyance). Once the cars stopped turning and the lane emptied, the sign actually read, "No Right Turns From Center Lane". Needless to say, for her, it was one of those Snickers, "Wanna get away moments". 

And yeah, I'm still letting her hear it on that one. Makes me smile, but not so much on her end. 

305. In one word, how would you describe your childhood?

Awesome. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.