Skip to main content

365 Thought Provoking Questions. Answered: #162-177

162. If today was the last day of your life, who would you call and what would you tell them?

I would call my wife, tell her how much I love her, and that she needs to trust Jesus the rest of the way without me. Oh, and I'd urge her to not feel guilty to find someone after I am gone. In fact, I encourage it!

I would call my parents, thank them for the years of effort into making me the man that I am today. Also for showing me the greatest quality a human being can have in life is being giving and unselfish.

I would call a couple of my close friends, and tell them thanks for sticking by my side, and to continue being foolish without me.

To everyone else, I'd drop a nice long letter as my final DP post.

163. Who do you dream about?

I daydream more than I have dreams in my slumber. Or it could be the fact that I just don't remember my dreams. However, I usually daydream about myself, and it is usually centered around the "ifs" in life. What if I did this? What if I chose a different school? What if I don't go to work today?

Simply, sometimes, I just daydream about the future and how I hope it turns out.

Or guilty enough in my admission, sometimes I dream about moments I wish I could be in and how they would play out. e.g. Walking the aisle at Wrestlemania, playing basketball for the Knicks, or being someone famous.

I'm sure we all have them...

164. What do you have trouble seeing clearly in your mind?

What can cause a person to cause bodily harm to a child? I don't see it. And probably never will.  I'm not talking a little disciplinary spanking, but the overly abusive, molestation or sexual assault type of harm. The stories you hear on the news or read in the paper of mothers not feeding children, throwing babies in the trash, or simply (and disgustingly) sexually assaulting children, I can never - ever - understand or see why another would do such evil. 

165. What are you looking forward to?

Being a father someday. I think I'm at the point in my life where I am ready for such a responsibility.

166. What is the number one thing you want to accomplish before you die?

To reach a quality of lifestyle where I can honestly affect as many people around me as possible for the better. To ultimately reach my potential as a human being.

167. When is love a weakness?

When it clouds your judgement and alters the core of the person you truly are. Many call it blind love.

168. What has been the most terrifying moment of your life thus far?

It was the summer, and I was sixteen years old. I was wearing a pair of shorts, which had no pockets, and a t-shirt with sneakers. I had to return a game I borrowed from a close friend who lived several blocks away. Because the kids in the neighborhood were about to play football (as we always did), I had very little time to do so. I quickly borrowed a friends bike which was so small, I could only ride it standing up. I tucked the video game case under my shirt into the front of my basketball shorts. As I was riding along, I crossed a major street (Remsen Avenue for you locals) and thought I was well on my way. Suddenly, I heard sirens and a PA system asking me to stop. I turned around and noticed the police officers in a car waving me in their direction. I rode back to their car where they began their interest in pulling me over:

Police: Where ya headed big guy?

Me: Friend's house.

Police: Why are you on such a small bike?

Me: My friend's bike. Borrowed it really quickly. Headed to my friends house to return something. He lives about five blocks from here. (Might I add, I'm very nervous and probably stumbling over my words).

Police: Ahh, I see. You don't have a bike of your own?

Me: I do. But it was in my basement.

Police: Ok, ok. What do you have there under your shirt?

Me: Umm, it's a game. (Like I said, totally nervous. And looking back, the old PlayStation 2 games came in large black cases, and the way it was tucked in my shorts, I can understand his suspicion).

Police: Let's see it.

I raise my shirt slightly and grab the case. As I look up, the police officer had his gun drawn towards me.

Whoa.

Police: Eaaaaaaasy...

I lift my shirt slowly, and he then sees it's in fact a game. Madden 2002.

Police: Let's see that game there...

I hand it over. He searches it, gives it back. Then apologizes and pats me on the back as I stand there stunned. He said there was a young man, my build, in basketball shorts and a t-shirt on a bike that mugged two women for their pocketbooks at gunpoint.

I fit the description.

Isn't that the worst thing to hear if you are a young black teen in America. Especially these days...

Nonetheless, a terrifying experience. One that will always stay with me.

169. Who is the strongest person you know?

I've always been amazed by my father's life story. He left home at the age of sixteen, and basically worked and island hopped until he arrived in the United States, where he carved out a pretty nice life for himself. I think that takes a lot of mental and courageous strength.

170. If you could take a single photograph of your life, what would it look like?

Actually, I believe a few of them have already been taken. Just me and the beach. Pretty cliche, but I love it. 

St. Lucia...a wonderful, wonderful place


171. Is the reward worth the risk?

Yes. Anything that is considered a "reward" to us, almost always comes with a risk. So yes, the reward is definitely worth the risk.

172. For you personally, what makes today worth living?

To improve, to get better, and to realize and accomplish God's next step for me.

It's been a wonderful ride thus far, and each day unveils a new step.

173. What have you done in the last year that makes you proud?

I've married a super, terrific, amazingly wonderful woman, who is also not just my best friend, but my tag-team partner in life.

174. What did you learn recently that changed the way you live?

I learned how to trust and believe in myself. Often, I doubt myself in specific situations, as I am sometimes not sure if I was capable, even though I was. Whether it was getting married, which adds more responsibility, or simply finally getting over that hump and believing in myself, learning to trust my abilities and myself in situations has definitely changed the way I live. I'm not  where I want to be, but I am improving daily.

175. What is your fondest memory from the past three years?

The easy answer, obviously, would be my wedding day. But I'll go a different route and offer up these two:

1. Cruising in a Ford Mustang down the Pacific Coast Highway in California with the tag-team partner. And of course, being able to relax as she drove (finally!).

2. The first night of our honey moon. For the first time in probably a year, we were able to simply relax. No worries at all. I simply enjoyed how silly it was that me, still dressed in a Knicks t-shirt, track pants, and a baseball cap, and her, basic shorts and t-shirt, hit the resort, billiards, bars, and nightlife straight off a plane, still wearing our travel attire, in what was a very, very crazy, and truly, silly night. 

176. What are the primary components of a happy life?

Peace. That is it. A certain feeling of being content within. Happiness definitely comes from within.

177. How would the world be different if you were never born?

Oh wow, not sure how I could answer that. We are all impacted by the others we come in contact with. I'm sure there are a few lives that would be drastically different, just as mine would if I didn't meet certain individuals (no matter the extent of the relationship). I'm guessing a couple of my friends wouldn't know one another, my wife would probably be in Syracuse and miserable (I know she'll laugh at that when she reads this), and my parent's need to help, give, and offer would be over a lot earlier - like twenty-seven years earlier.

A world without D-Robo? Probably the best question yet in this challenge. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.