Skip to main content

2011 Bucket List - #50 Attend Five Events For The Year

It's been said quite enough here at the DP that this year projected as quite a busy year for yours truly. From all of the planning, searching, and researching, it seemed like a free day on my personal calendar came around every month or so. With that it mind, the 2011 Bucket List was tailored to keep me motivated and to not only go beyond, but maintain as well. Every year, we all attend several events that interest us. As part of the 2011 BL, I wanted to solidify that in the midst of this crazy year, that yours truly will still get out to see and do new things. Because of this, "#50 - Attend Five Events" was added.

Seems easy enough, right? However, my only rule was to not count events that yours truly attends every year such as Brooklyn Cyclones games (the tag-team partner and I have a Season package) or Brooklyn College Basketball games. The events for the most part had to be new, different, and a bit exclusive. So with out further adieu, here are five events amidst this crazy 2011, that yours truly attended:
Brooklyn Aviators Game

Only way to watch hockey...live.
This doubled as another Bucket List task as yours truly had the opportunity to watch the game of hockey live. Unfortunately, it furthered my fickle relationship with the sport of hockey. Quite frankly, hockey is a great sport live. Any other way, it's not the same experience.

TNA - Brooklyn's MCU Park

Bully Ray making his way through the 6,000 plus...
Of all the wrestling shows I have been to, small, tapings, large events, wherever, whenever, no one puts on a small house show like Total Nonstop Action. Especially, their summer series of visiting minor league ball parks around the country. Baseball and wrestling? You know I am there!

Although I've been to various TNA house shows, this one is especially memorable for be as I met Jeff Jarrett in the mens bathroom of all places. If you missed it, take a look, as it is quite the story.

Melanie Fiona Concert at The LeBain Hotel


Melanie Fiona = Awesome
I've never been to a concert. What?! Yes, it is true.  I've never been to a concert or any type of musical performance (besides the standard church or school performance). I've always thought, why pay to listen to something I can hear much clearer at home? Foolish thinking? Umm yeahh. This summer the tag-team partner and I packed into the LeBain Hotel for a performance by Melanie Fiona. While I was very fortunate to have my blessed six foot five frame come into play in the standing room only setting, I realized the attraction with actually seeing a favorite performer live. Not a bad show, and very much looking forward to her next album.

WWE Survivor Series


Finallllllllly, The Rock has come back to New...York...City!!
As a wedding gift, the tag team partner and I received two tickets to the Survivor Series pay-per-view at Madison Square Garden. Yes, in my honest opinion, our best wedding gift. My tag team partner would greatly disagree though. Besides the event marking the very first pay-per-view wrestling event I've ever been too, it also was an electric experience as The Rock made his return to the ring after a seven year hiatus with Hollywood. As always, an awesome atmosphere in the Garden.

Billy Elliott

Wouldn't mind see it again.
"Who?"

That's how I responded to my tag-team partners e-mail at work when she wrote, "Want to go see Billy Elliott?". Of course at the time I was in the middle of something and the actual musical was the last thing on my mind, but nonetheless, I'm glad I cleared up the miscommunication, or the lack of comprehension on my end, to see such an awesome musical. Billy Elliot to be repetitive, is awesome. Not only was it very entertaining, but the exercise science enthusiast in me could not help but marvel at the motor skills and coordination of the 11 year old lead actor. That kid is down right phenomenal.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -