Skip to main content

The Unity Road Writings - Ring of Honor

12 days to go. 

With under two weeks to go until Wrestlema...er...9.24, the pressure is now on to finalize everything. With the frame work set for the big day, much of the minor tasks remain to be completed. Some of the tasks include reception table centerpieces, flowers, minor decorations, reception format, reception seating, and overall logistics throughout the day for the wedding party. 

However, now off the to-do list is the purchase of the wedding bands. An important purchase, of course. 

This past weekend the tag-team partner and I cruised on out to Long Island to the Roosevelt Mall to visit a Zales store. The visit, centered around seeking out our bands, brought back memories of looking for the perfect engagement ring. The visit seemed full circle for yours truly on this unity road. 

After learning a bit about bands as opposed to diamongs and engagement rings I've become so familiar with over the past three years, slipping a ring on my finger felt awfully weird. 

I'll admit, it was downright surreal.

Other than a simple chain necklace I've worn since I was a young D-Robo, jewelry was never a part of my appearance. However, now, not only would it be part of my appearance, but it would signify something much greater than aesthetics. 

I've often joked in the past that instead of a wedding band, maybe I could wear a crown, or a championship belt, or a simple patch of some sort. 

I know, I know.

But like I stated, it was a lighthearted joke. 

One of course my tag-team partner didn't think was rather funny. 

Nonetheless, as I tried on the ring, and stared at it sitting there on my left ring finger, it dawned on me at that moment that it didn't matter how it looked, or what the item of symbolism is. 

For in twelve days - a blink of an eye - that ring means more than just an appearance. More than just a shine. More than just a representation of a bond. 

Well, duh, didn't you know that?

Of course, I did.

However, there is something about that moment where you realize the overall responsibility of that object, ring or not, and all that comes with it. 

And it's at that moment as you stare that you realize: I'm not in this for the shiny jewelry. I'm not in this for the symbolism.  I'm not in this because it is "what comes next in our relationship".

And it once again solidifies what I've stated since the beginning of this series - I'm not in this even for 9.24, and the grandiose of a big day.

I'm in this for a lengthy and healthy marriage. 

No aesthetics. Just marriage.

And with that belief, the wedding band I'll slip on for real in twelve days, well, it is simply about honoring the greatest responsibility I will probably ever - ever - have.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -