Skip to main content

A Change Is Gonna Come

January 20th, 2009.

A momentous, and historic day for all of us that make up this great nation, and for those that honor and stand for freedom and democracy. It has been said by so many, from political experts to young adults, of the importance of President Obama's inauguration, its meaning to each individual, and its place in history. President Obama's inauguration has touched us all deeply in many ways, and has created a sense of hope, dignity, and pride in the United States, as well as in the true essence of humanity.

Through it all, the thoughts and reflections we share, feel, and hear cannot compare to those that have lived this journey. For many of us, we are reaping the rewards of struggles and battles fought before our time. History books, written documents, personal testimonies and vivid footage create much of what we are seeing the result of today. Historical, and still meaningful, one must wonder the raw emotion of those that stood at the Lincoln Memorial just 40 years earlier to view the great Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King. And their response today, watching from that same area that President Barack Obama took an oath to occupy the highest office in our nation.

Can you imagine their joy? Their thoughts? Their feelings?

Maybe, hope? Joy? Progress?

In viewing today's inauguration, and reflecting on the thoughts and emotions of those that lived the life, and were part of the journey leading to this historical moment, yours truly remembered the great song by Sam Cooke, written in 1963. A song which I thought I understood.

For today, it turns Sam Cooke from a mere believer into a prophet.

From skepticism, to realism.

From hope, to expectation.

Following January 20th, 2009, I will forever see and hear Sam Cooke's lyrics in a different way.

A Change is Gonna Come
By: Sam Cooke

I was born by the river in a little tent
Oh and just like the river I've been running ever since
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

It's been too hard living but I'm afraid to die
Cause I don't know what's up there beyond the sky
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

I go to the movie and I go downtown
Somebody keep telling me don't hang around
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

Then I go to my brother
And I say brother help me please
But he winds up knocking me
Back down on my knees

There been times that I thought I couldn't last for long
But now I think I'm able to carry on
It's been a long, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.