Skip to main content

Dear Son, The Real MVP


--3 Days Old---

Dear Son,

You're here! Oh my gosh - you are here!

We are super happy to have you arrive in this world, and so incredibly excited to get to know you; hug you; kiss you; bathe you; even change you. We are just so incredibly excited to learn about you and grow with you.

As I sit here punching the keys on this latest post, you lay beside me, fussing, making sporadic movements, occasionally and suddenly whaling, and even giving me a quick smirk just long enough to let me know you can turn on the attention siren whenever you feel - but it's all still awesome.

Because everything about you - your impressive amount of hair, your long limbs, your obsession with having your hands in your face - really, this crazy blend of your mother and me - is incredible.

I said it to your mother after you were born, and I truly mean it, I'm not sure how anyone can have kids and deny there is a God. I honestly don't get it. The experience really is devine, miraculous, and empowering.

But while your picture on Facebook and Instagram garner likes and comments from friends and family, and the text messages flood in and are packaged and stock-answered out for the many longing to meet you, you aren't the MVP of this time.

No sir, you aren't. And quite frankly, I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll have to keep you humbled - the way my father did to me.

While you get all of the attention, and the images, and the discussion is about you, the true MVP of your arrival is indeed your mother. The woman whose initials whom you have and represent. For when you are reading this, let it be known your mother spent 14 hours in labor with you. Yes, FOURTEEN. That's ten plus two more hours. That's more than half a day. That's a ridiculous amount of time waiting on you to enter the world.

She also spent over 24 hours in the hospital PRIOR to your birth. She's a rock. She's tough. And I can testify that on the weekend of June 22nd-25th, 2018, your mother was tremendous in everything thrown her way in the birthing process.

So, be kind to your mother. I'm pretty sure she'll let you know of this exact experience one day - possibly several times? Maybe a few dozen? -  in a moment in which you both disagree, or if you upset her in some way. But know this, it doesn't matter who is right, respect her - always.

When I was fourteen, my father and I gained a habit of hanging out on the stoop after he came home from work. In one of those many summer hangouts, I remember him telling me "your mother is the toughest woman I know". I still hear him saying that in my head with that awesome Caribbean accent (no worries - you'll get it too) every time I see my mother do these absurd things a nearing 70 year old woman shouldn't (i.e. when I visited her the day after you were born, she was on a ladder sanding and painting a section of a hallway ceiling).

But she's good at that - taking care of my father at this stage of his life - with his current illness, or anything and everything to pick up whatever slack there is in life. She's loving, self-less to an absolute fault, so emotional, worries wayyyyy too much, but she's tough. So incredibly tough and resilient. And once again, loving.

That description is your mom. I see a lot of my mom in her. And hopefully, God-willing, you'll have the opportunity to make those comparisons for yourself one day.

However, in closing, I'm so incredibly happy you're here. You made this post from a usual twenty minute endeavor into 90 minute-long process by needing your pacifier every time you lost it, but that's okay. Mom went through 36+ hours of pain, agony, and most of all, toughness, to get you here. I can certainly spare a few minutes to simply keep you happy.

Welcome to the world, Ace. Can't wait to live it with you.

And remember, 36+ hours. THIRTY-SIX-PLUS. Respect her. Always. Seriously, always.

Sincerely,

Your over-the moon Dad

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.