Skip to main content

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 2/25/18


3 Up

1. Students of Stoneman Douglas - Man, do these kids have some fire or what? They are fearless, and I love the pro-acttive measures they are taking to get something done after this latest shooting. I do find it interesting how many are claiming that these kids are too young to understand the "nuances" of how this all works. I think these kids get it. And they honestly lived it. 

2. Question to Marco Rubio - Damn. I watched CNN's Town Hall debate on DVR, and in that moment, you saw it on Rubio's face, he knew the question was coming. Kudos to that young man for asking the VERY obvious question of lobby money and the NRA, and how this all plays into the "discussion". However, you know what? Kudos to Rubio who didn't decline the invitation like so many others and faced a hostile crowd that very night. 

3. Baseball is Back! - In a heart-wrenching week filled with politics and debate, it was just nice to have baseball back. And games! There were games! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! 

3 Down

1. Arming Teachers? - Apparently, our President, and many others, believe this is a viable solution to the school shootings in our country. I'm pretty sure we can all make a list of 100 things (quite easily as well) that will and can go wrong with this situation. Anything for that NRA money, I suppose. 

2. NCAA/College Coaches - I work in College Athletics, and I am a member of the NCAA. Most on the outside claiming to pay students don't understand or recognize half the issues involved with that. However, my allegiance is to DII and DIII schools. These schools paying money and all sorts of shadiness continue to lose my respect. Think about what grown men are looking to do to get 17 and 18 year old boys to dribble a basketball in a uniform. It's rare that I am shameful of higher education as a practitioner, but this is one of those times. However, shoutout to those programs who develop young men, graduate students, and are viable programs. They may not be on TV, but they are out there. 

3. Dallas Mavericks - The Sports Illustrated article unveiling the rampant sexual misconduct is heartbreaking, yet, just a reminder of how pervasive this has been in our culture. Powerful men...who knows where else this took place? 

1 Huh? 

1. Winter Olympics -I watched a few events. But honestly, I never got into it. I found out it was over as I typed this very SSR. Ah well...World Cup this summer though!!!!!

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -