Skip to main content

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/9/16


3 Up

1. Russell Westbrook - I know the NBA's MVP debate is a good one. Really, a suffice argument can be made for all the options in the discussion. However, Westbrook is my guy. 42 triple doubles! Averaged - AVERAGED - a Triple Double this season! And yes, has led the Thunder to the playoffs! That's my pick - my guy. And I hope to have a post up this week with more on Westbrook. Unbelievable. 

2. Girl with Black Doll - Kudos to the two year old girl who selected a black doll for her mom to purchase, and defended her choice against the cashier, who questioned her choice, and did so with the innocence only a child could have. The gall of adults sometimes? Unbelievable. 

3. Warm Weather - It's FINALLY showing some signs of life in the weather department. Spring is definitely on it's way. Can't wait. Had to give this some love. You all know I love me some warm weather. 

3 Down

1. Syria Gas Attack - What else can I say that hasn't been said, or isn't already known. This is awful. And it's heartbreaking to think that this is the day-to-day reality of some in Syria. 

2. Egypt Church Bombings - Just when the world couldn't get any more brutal, we see the awful scenes from church bombings in Egypt on Palm Sunday. At times it feels like things aren't so bad, then the world and it's evil forces swiftly and continuously remind you of how ruthless things can be. Ugh...my heart and prayers to everyone in Syria and Egypt. 

3. Pepsi Advertisement - Who approved this commercial? Seriously, who in their right mind gave this the green light? It's very obvious the top execs in corporate America are white men who don't understand social justice, and aren't truly connected to reality. And oh yeah, shame on the Kardashians for accepting and going along with this gig. But for them, anything for fame, right? 

Recently Read Posts

IMPACT Wrestling: First Impressions Under New Management

I wanted to wait for a full set of tapings to air under the new Impact Wrestling regime before making a judgement on the new product. After all, if the history of this company has taught me anything, it's never to really trust any sort of reset, new direction, or changeover it endures. As a follower since the very first show in 2002, this company has provided me with some of my favorite wrestling moments, but truthfully, has given me more heartache as of late than memorable moments. 
Nonetheless, here we are...again! This time, the "new beginning" is legit, with the key aspect being the removal of Dixie Carter, and the insert of Anthem as new owners, and the return of Jeff Jarrett in a weird Steve Jobs-sort of way, to do it the way he wanted to the first time. Maybe with a bit more seasoning and understanding this time around. 
After several weeks, I have to say, I am very pleased with the product. Very pleased. For this fan, dare I say, there is hope once again. Like, …

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/23/17

3 Up
1. Serena Williams - Just when Serena Williams' legend couldn't grown any larger, we find out this week that not only is she pregnant, but yes, she won her last major while pregnant. I've said it for awhile, but Williams is one of the best athletes of all-time. Certainly one of mine. 
2. Russell Westbrook - Yes, he's down 3-1 to James Harden and the Rockets, but the way he's putting up triple-doubles is unreal. It's basically video-game like at this point. 
3. Fox News - A slight minor hit for Fox in finally - FINALLY - doing away with Bill O'Reilly and cleaning up the good old boy club they allowed to dominate the station, while also sexually harassing many. White old men...the privilege and power it produces never ceases to amaze me. 
3 Down
1. North Korea Threat - So now North Korea is threatening to sink a U.S. Aircraft carrier. Anything North Korea typically makes me shake my head, and in the same though, concerned. It's amazing how weird the w…

2017 Bucket List #1 - Visit Marlins Park

My 14th MLB stadium (not counting the ones that are no longer - RIP old Yankee Stadium) was in fact Marlins Park in wonderful Miami, Florida. I had the opportunity to check off two bucket list items in my visit by seeing the park, AND being present for the World Baseball Classic opening round. Of course, I'll have more on the latter in another post.
Regardless, back to Marlins Park. My first and major takeaway is in fact tied to the bureaucracy that has surrounded the building since it's inception. The park is located in a peculiar location in Miami. Very apparent of the cheap land acquired, and the socioeconomics of the neighborhood that surrounds it. Though, much like the two games I went to, the ballpark has given many of the neighboring folks revenue-generating opportunities, renting out their front yards for parking and other tailgating opportunities. Makes for a unique concept.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/16/17

3 Up
1. Easter - Although my last few Easters have been a bit different than what I've experience my entire life, I still enjoy the Holiday. It's a special time, especially to be renewed in faith. He is risen! 
2. The Fate and the Furious - So I haven't seen the film yet, and most likely won't until it hits on-demand. Regardless, it's amazing to read the $532.5M opening weekend revenue the film generated. Especially for a film that isn't the best, but now has a reputation to be a must-see. 
3. Chase Headley - Yes, THAT Chase Headley. Twelve games into the season, and the Yankee third basemen is raking, playing steller baseball, and currently owns a .489 OBP. 
3 Down
1. Fox News - So apparently marginalizing muslims continues to be a thing, and is now accepted on national television. What is wrong with people? Ugh...
2. Facebook Killer - This is the type of thing everyone worries about with social media providing the ability to provide personal live content. Now …