Skip to main content

He Did It: Thoughts on LeBron Finally Winning One For Cleveland


He did it. 

That is pretty much all I can muster as the final seconds ticked down on the 2016 NBA Finals. And quite frankly, after all he has endured, been through, experienced, and overcome, I am truly, truly happy for LeBron James. 

After all, how can you not be? Has there EVER been an athlete more scrutinized than James? Hey, even I have had my fair share of things to say about LeBron following "The Decision" (Disappointment: The True Fallout From "The Decision"). 

Regardless, through it all, LeBron continued to persevere through an age of social media and constant revolving negativity, ignoring the haters, the doubters, and blogging clowns like me, to bring the one thing that as been elusive and let's face it - down right necessary - to the existence of his career - bringing Cleveland a championship. 

I am a sucker for stories of such perseverance and adversity. And I too, was a sucker for James' pursuit of this title. Again, how can you not be?


There was also a part of me that loved and empathized with James in discussing his relationship with Tyronn Lue. James touched on his background of being an inner-city black kid who survived, made something of himself, and didn't succumb to the system that easily could have made him a statistic. 

Honestly, that gripped me. It really, really did. Because quite frankly, I understand that sentiment and that feeling. Maybe it's a post-thirty reflection sort-of-deal, but I too, like James, am extraordinarily grateful for such opportunities and breaks. And once you can empathize with that, it's really clear to see how much this entire journey was bigger than just basketball for him.

I can't even imagine the relief and joy felt in this moment...

And of course, there is the order of business that took place between those four lines inside the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California. There are no words or reasoning needed to describe the performance of James during this series other than this:

Total Statistics from 2016 NBA Finals

Total Points - 208
Rebounds - 79
Assists - 62
Blocks - 16
Steals - 18

By the way, he lead ALL players in the series in ALL categories.

And oh yeah, he had what is THE greatest block I've EVER seen in my life. No hyperbole. The greatest. Ever. I'm still in awe of that game changing play! 



Of course, there are those who went to bed last night sour in regards to the result. Many will still dig deep to find other ways to dislike LeBron. That's cool. That's all fine, and it's their right and their feelings. 

But again, no one can deny that this story is special. That this story is epic. That this story speaks and reaches emotions that many in Hollywood are attempting to script right now. 

Somewhere, right now, someone is working on that King James statue for downtown Cleveland. 

Even for this long-suffering Knicks fan, it's a story that makes me believe someday we can enjoy such a time. 

Ahhhh, someday...

Nonetheless, I'm very glad I was able to witness it, and even more thankful I have the opportunity in my lifetime to witness not only Michael Jordan, but also LeBron James. And yeah, I went there in that statement. He's there folks. Deal with it. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -