Skip to main content

He Did It: Thoughts on LeBron Finally Winning One For Cleveland


He did it. 

That is pretty much all I can muster as the final seconds ticked down on the 2016 NBA Finals. And quite frankly, after all he has endured, been through, experienced, and overcome, I am truly, truly happy for LeBron James. 

After all, how can you not be? Has there EVER been an athlete more scrutinized than James? Hey, even I have had my fair share of things to say about LeBron following "The Decision" (Disappointment: The True Fallout From "The Decision"). 

Regardless, through it all, LeBron continued to persevere through an age of social media and constant revolving negativity, ignoring the haters, the doubters, and blogging clowns like me, to bring the one thing that as been elusive and let's face it - down right necessary - to the existence of his career - bringing Cleveland a championship. 

I am a sucker for stories of such perseverance and adversity. And I too, was a sucker for James' pursuit of this title. Again, how can you not be?


There was also a part of me that loved and empathized with James in discussing his relationship with Tyronn Lue. James touched on his background of being an inner-city black kid who survived, made something of himself, and didn't succumb to the system that easily could have made him a statistic. 

Honestly, that gripped me. It really, really did. Because quite frankly, I understand that sentiment and that feeling. Maybe it's a post-thirty reflection sort-of-deal, but I too, like James, am extraordinarily grateful for such opportunities and breaks. And once you can empathize with that, it's really clear to see how much this entire journey was bigger than just basketball for him.

I can't even imagine the relief and joy felt in this moment...

And of course, there is the order of business that took place between those four lines inside the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California. There are no words or reasoning needed to describe the performance of James during this series other than this:

Total Statistics from 2016 NBA Finals

Total Points - 208
Rebounds - 79
Assists - 62
Blocks - 16
Steals - 18

By the way, he lead ALL players in the series in ALL categories.

And oh yeah, he had what is THE greatest block I've EVER seen in my life. No hyperbole. The greatest. Ever. I'm still in awe of that game changing play! 



Of course, there are those who went to bed last night sour in regards to the result. Many will still dig deep to find other ways to dislike LeBron. That's cool. That's all fine, and it's their right and their feelings. 

But again, no one can deny that this story is special. That this story is epic. That this story speaks and reaches emotions that many in Hollywood are attempting to script right now. 

Somewhere, right now, someone is working on that King James statue for downtown Cleveland. 

Even for this long-suffering Knicks fan, it's a story that makes me believe someday we can enjoy such a time. 

Ahhhh, someday...

Nonetheless, I'm very glad I was able to witness it, and even more thankful I have the opportunity in my lifetime to witness not only Michael Jordan, but also LeBron James. And yeah, I went there in that statement. He's there folks. Deal with it. 

Recently Read Posts

IMPACT Wrestling: First Impressions Under New Management

I wanted to wait for a full set of tapings to air under the new Impact Wrestling regime before making a judgement on the new product. After all, if the history of this company has taught me anything, it's never to really trust any sort of reset, new direction, or changeover it endures. As a follower since the very first show in 2002, this company has provided me with some of my favorite wrestling moments, but truthfully, has given me more heartache as of late than memorable moments. 
Nonetheless, here we are...again! This time, the "new beginning" is legit, with the key aspect being the removal of Dixie Carter, and the insert of Anthem as new owners, and the return of Jeff Jarrett in a weird Steve Jobs-sort of way, to do it the way he wanted to the first time. Maybe with a bit more seasoning and understanding this time around. 
After several weeks, I have to say, I am very pleased with the product. Very pleased. For this fan, dare I say, there is hope once again. Like, …

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/23/17

3 Up
1. Serena Williams - Just when Serena Williams' legend couldn't grown any larger, we find out this week that not only is she pregnant, but yes, she won her last major while pregnant. I've said it for awhile, but Williams is one of the best athletes of all-time. Certainly one of mine. 
2. Russell Westbrook - Yes, he's down 3-1 to James Harden and the Rockets, but the way he's putting up triple-doubles is unreal. It's basically video-game like at this point. 
3. Fox News - A slight minor hit for Fox in finally - FINALLY - doing away with Bill O'Reilly and cleaning up the good old boy club they allowed to dominate the station, while also sexually harassing many. White old men...the privilege and power it produces never ceases to amaze me. 
3 Down
1. North Korea Threat - So now North Korea is threatening to sink a U.S. Aircraft carrier. Anything North Korea typically makes me shake my head, and in the same though, concerned. It's amazing how weird the w…

2017 Bucket List #1 - Visit Marlins Park

My 14th MLB stadium (not counting the ones that are no longer - RIP old Yankee Stadium) was in fact Marlins Park in wonderful Miami, Florida. I had the opportunity to check off two bucket list items in my visit by seeing the park, AND being present for the World Baseball Classic opening round. Of course, I'll have more on the latter in another post.
Regardless, back to Marlins Park. My first and major takeaway is in fact tied to the bureaucracy that has surrounded the building since it's inception. The park is located in a peculiar location in Miami. Very apparent of the cheap land acquired, and the socioeconomics of the neighborhood that surrounds it. Though, much like the two games I went to, the ballpark has given many of the neighboring folks revenue-generating opportunities, renting out their front yards for parking and other tailgating opportunities. Makes for a unique concept.

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Captain Fantastic (2016)

What is it about? 
A father who raised his kids in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest, is forced to enter the real world, and is challenged by specific values he holds dearly. 
Who is in it? 
Viggo Mortenson - Ben
George McKay - Bo
Samantha Wisler - Kielyr