Skip to main content

The Pondering 10 - Annoying Things in Sports Today

I love sports. That's pretty evident by looking and searching around this blog. However, as times change and I grow older, there are a few things that do bother me regarding or surrounding the sports world. Various aspects have changed and quite frankly, in my opinion, it's not for the better. I'll live with it, but it's still annoying. With that said, here is the Pondering 10 - Annoying Things in Sports Today.


10. "Fans" - Let's just say, I've always despised bandwagon fans. And now added to this list are those fans who attend games for their premium seats, the food in the ball park, to be on TV, to walk around in the private clubs, or to build their social media. Whatever happened to loyalty to a team, and going to a game to watch the game?



9. Overexposure of Youth - The Little League World Series is cool. But do we need various all-american games and other showcases of high school kids on national television? Do we need added pressure and incentive to "jump" the process upon these kids? Has amateur and youth sports completely lost it's integrity?



8. Unofficial Team Mascots - I don't care for Spike Lee "speaking" for Knicks fans (as it usually isn't the consensus opinion), nor camera shots of Drake doing things other normal fans would be tossed out of the arena for.



7. ESPN - Talk about an entity that has completely bastardized the coverage of sports. Just my opinion. Have you spent a few minutes watching First Take? Ugh. I find plenty of what the "Worldwide Leader" does to be annoying.



6. Over-analytics - I'm all for used advanced metrics and quantitative analysis in sports as I do believe they do tell plenty and can prepare a viable scouting report, especially in baseball. However, when we start diving into crazy scenarios and absurd things to predict an outcome, or even conclusions that make zero sense, I'm no longer a supporter.



5. Fantasy Sports - If you play fantasy sports - wonderful - more power to you. Personally, I find that over reliance on fantasy sports takes away from fans enjoying and appreciating the athletes and their performance. But whatevs.



4. Lack of Rationality - This has always and will always be a part of sports, but it seems lately, it has grown as fans simply throw out absurd trade proposals and other outrageous statements. We see this especially in the tv and radio world where it's beyond comprehensible.



3. Talking Heads - I've now completely tuned out many of the over-abundance of talking heads that fill the airwaves. They add nothing, talk in hyperbole for attention, and rarely offer any substance.



2. The Pass for the NFL - I get that the NFL is king in this country. I do. However, it does bother me the way the league gets away with various and serious issues such as PEDs, player criminal history, and oh yeah, that small issue of head injuries in the league.



1. Fickle Narratives - This is a result of a combination of ESPN, over-analytics, fantasy sports, and the lack of rationality, but the way fans and sports narratives change on the whim is mind boggling. Russell Westbrook has a good game, all of a sudden hes the MVP, not Steph Curry? That's just the latest example.  And of course, the constant questioning of someone's legacy. Relax. Everyone, just relax. 

Recently Read Posts

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Pondering Picture #81

An establishment cannot uphold systemic injustice, and attempt to condemn it, simultaneously.

My prayers (and of course my thoughts...so many thoughts) are with Charlottesville, Virgina, and the many people of color who have endured through these scenes and images over the course of history.

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye: