Skip to main content

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Creed (2015)

What is it about? 

Adonis Johnson, son of former World Champ Apollo Creed, seeks out his dad's long-time rival and friend, Rocky Balboa, to train him and help him become a professional boxer. 

Who is in it? 

Michael B. Jordan - Adonis Johnson

Sylvester Stallone - Rocky Balboa

Favorite Scene: 

After arrogantly walking into a gym in LA and knocking out the first person he fought, Johnson is dropped by an experienced fighter in a scene where the camera falls and hits the mat as he does. 

Favorite Quote: 

"You can't learn anything when you're talking. That's a fact of life. As long as you're talking, you're not listening."

Review: 

I'm completely torn on Creed. On one hand, I am very impressed in how Writer and Director, Ryan Coogler and the way the story of Rocky will continue in a new and modern age. On the other hand, I'm just ready for the story of Rocky to just be. Like, just let it live on it's own. 

In my opinion, Creed just feels like the original Rocky. And of course, with a sequel coming, it feels like we are going down the road of a series that is building off of Rocky, and simply, just replaying it. I hope I am wrong, but for now, that's where I am on this. 

As for the good stuff, Creed is shot tremendously well. Everything about the cinematography, the camera angles, the modern feel of the underdog story, is simply tremendous. The boxing in the film feels 100 times more authentic than every part of the Rock series that was allergic to blocking. 

And of course, Michael B. Jordan was absolutely fantastic. And I was a big fan of Rocky keeping his classic "Rocky-isms" and one-liners in the film. 

All in all, I wasn't blown away by Creed, and it doesn't feel like a boxing film that moves away from the easy-to-fall-into hole of feeling like Rocky. Regardless, it's a very good moving visually, and still very entertaining. 

Grade: 3/5

Recently Read Posts

IMPACT Wrestling: First Impressions Under New Management

I wanted to wait for a full set of tapings to air under the new Impact Wrestling regime before making a judgement on the new product. After all, if the history of this company has taught me anything, it's never to really trust any sort of reset, new direction, or changeover it endures. As a follower since the very first show in 2002, this company has provided me with some of my favorite wrestling moments, but truthfully, has given me more heartache as of late than memorable moments. 
Nonetheless, here we are...again! This time, the "new beginning" is legit, with the key aspect being the removal of Dixie Carter, and the insert of Anthem as new owners, and the return of Jeff Jarrett in a weird Steve Jobs-sort of way, to do it the way he wanted to the first time. Maybe with a bit more seasoning and understanding this time around. 
After several weeks, I have to say, I am very pleased with the product. Very pleased. For this fan, dare I say, there is hope once again. Like, …

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/23/17

3 Up
1. Serena Williams - Just when Serena Williams' legend couldn't grown any larger, we find out this week that not only is she pregnant, but yes, she won her last major while pregnant. I've said it for awhile, but Williams is one of the best athletes of all-time. Certainly one of mine. 
2. Russell Westbrook - Yes, he's down 3-1 to James Harden and the Rockets, but the way he's putting up triple-doubles is unreal. It's basically video-game like at this point. 
3. Fox News - A slight minor hit for Fox in finally - FINALLY - doing away with Bill O'Reilly and cleaning up the good old boy club they allowed to dominate the station, while also sexually harassing many. White old men...the privilege and power it produces never ceases to amaze me. 
3 Down
1. North Korea Threat - So now North Korea is threatening to sink a U.S. Aircraft carrier. Anything North Korea typically makes me shake my head, and in the same though, concerned. It's amazing how weird the w…

2017 Bucket List #1 - Visit Marlins Park

My 14th MLB stadium (not counting the ones that are no longer - RIP old Yankee Stadium) was in fact Marlins Park in wonderful Miami, Florida. I had the opportunity to check off two bucket list items in my visit by seeing the park, AND being present for the World Baseball Classic opening round. Of course, I'll have more on the latter in another post.
Regardless, back to Marlins Park. My first and major takeaway is in fact tied to the bureaucracy that has surrounded the building since it's inception. The park is located in a peculiar location in Miami. Very apparent of the cheap land acquired, and the socioeconomics of the neighborhood that surrounds it. Though, much like the two games I went to, the ballpark has given many of the neighboring folks revenue-generating opportunities, renting out their front yards for parking and other tailgating opportunities. Makes for a unique concept.

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Captain Fantastic (2016)

What is it about? 
A father who raised his kids in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest, is forced to enter the real world, and is challenged by specific values he holds dearly. 
Who is in it? 
Viggo Mortenson - Ben
George McKay - Bo
Samantha Wisler - Kielyr