Skip to main content

Thoughts on the 2016 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot


The 2016 MLB Hall of Fame induction ceremony this year will be highly anticipated by every baseball fan who grew up in the 90's. The selection of Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza feels well deserved, nostalgic, and honestly, an opportunity for the game of baseball to romanticize about some of the greatest - not just Hall of Famers, but GREATEST - players to have ever put on a baseball uniform. 

Sometimes I wished the induction ceremonies were part of the All-Star festivities and not just a random week in the summer. I want a huge spectacle out of this! But whatevs.

Regardless, as I've stated in the past, the shunning of Piazza was rather ridiculous, especially when t was based on speculation, or anticipated speculation, right Bill Madden? But I still respect Madden for disclosing and explaining his vote. That's all one can ask for.  

As for Griffey, the dude was so boss. From the swing, the athleticism, the power, the smile, the backwards hat, the sneakers, the whole entire package and swag was transcending in a sport where all of it is not easy to do. That sort of marketing stuff only comes easy to basketball players. And oh yeah, he did it in Seattle!

Again, major congrats to Junior and Piazza. Well deserved. 

Here are some other quick tidbits from the Hall of Fame announcement: 

Griffey's Swing

Call me crazy, but shouldn't Griffey's swing also be inducted into the Hall of Fame? Quite frankly, it may just make the DP Page of Fame this summer, and don't be surprised if it does. I love that swing. Still do. No one had a sweeter swing than Griff. Ever. Really, ever. No one.



99.3% 

The last few years I've complained about the always anticipated but never shocking situation of "who didn't vote for (fill in the blank). I can do that with Griffey here, as three knuckleheads apparently looked at Griffey's career and just didn't think it was worthy of Cooperstown enshrinement. Maybe they compared him to his videogame counterpart where he ALWAYS went yard on the N64. That's a tough comparison, and I can see that reasoning a little bit. 

Seriously though, 99.3% is the highest vote ever. Griffey deserves it. And yes, I do see Rivera and Jeter both smashing that record in a few years. But then again, there is always that guy, right? 

All you have to do is see that Jason Kendall, Garrett Anderson, and Mike Sweeney received votes. Ugh.

Maybe Next Year? 

Jeff Bagwell votes became more of a thing in 2016 as he jumped from receiving 55.7% to 71.6%. This bodes rough for Bagwell in being patient, but it seems like 2017 may be his year. 

Speaking of 2017, I'm sure Tim Raines squeaks in on his final year of eligibility on the ballot. Rock has waited long enough. 

I wouldn't also be surprised if Trevor Hoffman somehow joins them as well. 

Moose Still Average

Mike Mussina is one of my favorite pitchers of all-time. Looking at his numbers, it's borderline criminal how overshadowed he's been in this process. 

Underrated Sheff

Speaking of being overlooked, am I the only one who believes Gary Sheffield is a certified and legit Hall of Fame contender? Not saying he's first ballot, or even a sure thing, but the guy has a legit argument when you consider his numbers (against others), the various positions he has played, and the amount of big moments he has produced in. 

Plus the stance with the super bat waggle was fantastic. 

Are We All Clear On When to Vote?

Barry has to eventually get in, right? This is all pretty much punishing him by making him wait, no? Seriously, it has to be, yeah? Come on guys, we are eventually electing Barry Bonds, right? 

Let's just make sure we do it together. Wait, we are still doing that? That is still the plan, correct?

Sammy, Who? 

Sammy Sosa received just 7% and may see his fate come to an end on the ballot in 2016. Just do me a favor and glance at Sosa's lines. I can't even wrap my mind around some of those numbers. 

[sidenote: Baseball Reference is practically my mental home away from reality. I find myself looking at the most random statistics on there whenever my mind drifts. Hmmm, what did Clay Bellinger hit in 2000? That sort of thing. Not healthy at all.]

Sadly, a part of me believes future generations to come will be just as confused as I am by Sosa's stat lines and what his legacy really is - more baffling is that I actually saw him play and haven't the faintest clue. Good luck future baseball fans! 

Finally, in what has become tradition here at the DP, and since I thoroughly believe every voter should disclose their votes, I will give you the official DP Hall of Fame ballot if I had one: 

  • Ken Griffey Jr. 
  • Mike Piazza 
  • Tim Raines
  • Jeff Bagwell
  • Gary Sheffield
  • Mike Mussina
  • Jeff Kent
  • Edgar Martinez
  • Trevor Hoffman
  • Curt Schilling

And...

*Barry Bonds

Because we're all done punishing Bonds and Clemens and voting for real on them next year, right guys? Or is it the year afterwards? Or shoot, did I miss the memo on them for this year? Crap. 

Recently Read Posts

I Wore a Porzingis T-Shirt Today

The comments came all day long, and from everywhere.
"Nice shirt! Love me some Kristaps! If they trade him tonight, I tell you what, I'll help you chant 'Fire Phil'". 
"They better keep the Unicorn in New York."
"Hey, did they trade Porzingis? Please tell me they didn't trade KP!" 
These were some of the comments to come out of random conversations I had with complete and total strangers today as I rocked my Porzingis T-shirt jersey and some bright orange nike's. The move served as a therapeutic last ditch protesting effort to accentuating my (unfortunate) feelings for this basketball team representing this great and wonderful city. I'm with Porzingis. 
The first comment was made by the spry female usher guiding me to my seat at the Barclay's Center. The second was a thirteen year old boy who stood behind me on the Will Call line sparking a conversation of angst, frustration, and disappointment with the team we chose to suppor…

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 6/18/17

3 Up
1. Father's Day - Shout out to all of the father's out there who make so many sacrifices to help raising and mentor tomorrow's generation. Thank you for all that you do. 
2. How to Think About Bill Cosby... - A recent article in the New York Times discusses and opined on an issue facing many - navigating enjoying "The Cosby Show" and the recent development surrounding Bill Cosby. As a big fan of the show myself, the piece is extremely good, and touches on some interesting tidbits we ought to keep in mind regarding the show. 
3. America's Generosity - According to recent reports, Americans donated over $390 Billion to charity in 2016. In the face of all the negativity we see in the news each day, it's refreshing to hear of such generosity in our nation. 
3 Down
1. United States Sailors - Such a tragedy to hear of the U.S. Sailors found dead upon a ship that collided with another off the shores of Japan. After being missing, the bodies were found earlie…

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…

The Pondering 10 - All-Time Favorite Championship Belts

With the WWE finally moving on from the ridiculousness that was the appearance of the WWE championship (Really, they kept a spinning title for eight years), and of course the unveiling the look of the title, it got the wheels turning on the best looks for championship belts. From pro wrestling, boxing (although, don't expect to see any on this list as they are usually ugly), and mixed martial arts, there are plenty of different models, types, and appearances that come with them. The following Pondering 10 list is my favorite all-time championship belts.