Skip to main content

The Pondering 10 - Favorite All-Time Right Handed Hitters to Watch

It's been awhile since I've tackled a Pondering 10 column, but in the spirit of the topic of this post, I'm due. In the middle of what has been such a fun and exciting baseball season, I decided to go ahead and rank, of course, as of today, my favorite right handed batters to watch. We all know lefty swings are the prettiest, natural turn to first base and all, but I'm going to give the righties some love. With that said, here are my favorite right handed hitters of all time - most who I've imitated a few times in my lifetime.



10. Mark McGwire - Of course, let's place the PEDs aside. Watching McGwire hit during that stretch in the late nineties was absolutely awesome. McGwire swing was mostly upper half with bulging forearms that straight clubbed the ball. McGwire was seriously what a super hero would look like if he played baseball. 


9. Mike Piazza - Another big, raw, powerful guy with tremendous torque. Weirdly, my favorite part was when Piazza really got a hold of one and the bat whipped around and slammed across his back. Dude was fun to watch. 


8. Vladmir Guerrero - If it's near the plate, or within the zip code of the plate, Guerrero was swinging! And it always made for an interesting watch. And of course, you just have to love the enormous amounts of pine tar he used during his ABs. 



7. Edgar Martinez - I'm saying it now, put the man in the Hall of Fame!!! I'm so tired of some using the DH as a way to punish a guy. Nonetheless, Edgar raked, and had one of the most level swings for a right hander you will ever see. 



6. Albert Pujols - Speaking of level swings, how about "The Machine"? An all-time great for a reason. Not much else is needed to say here. 



5. Miguel Cabrera - The big fella just makes hitting look so, so, so, so easy. Gap to gap, and line to line. 



4. Derek Jeter - Ahhhhh, The Captain! Why does it seem like so long ago since he played? Anyway, I can watch Jeter highlights on him taking the ball to right field all day long. A "Jeterian" hit as they say, always a beauty to watch. 



3. Frank Thomas - I'll admit, I may be a bit biased on this one. As a kid I was a big fan of the Big Hurt, mainly because as a taller individual, I was able to identify with him playing baseball. Nonetheless, nothing was better than Thomas' load up and follow through where his bottom hand brought what looked like the force of mother nature herself through the zone. I miss that.



2. Alex Rodriguez - Oh yes, the 2014 DP Page of Famer himself. A-Rod is always a joy to watch hit, especially in his prime. Shhhhhh, I did say forget the PEDs. But on a serious note, from his stance,  the leg kick, his stature, his ability to go the other way for power, and his already lightning rod personality, Rodriguez is in my top 3 of favorite ABs to tune into. 



1. Manny Ramirez - Unfortunately, much of watching Ramirez's at-bats were him destroying my Yankees, first in an Indians uniform, then for years as a member of the Red Sox. Ramirez is the best right handed hitter I've seen in my lifetime thus far, and especially, very underrated for his hitting knowledge. Despite the damage he caused, Ramirez was always a joy to watch.

Recently Read Posts

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye:

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Pondering Picture #81

An establishment cannot uphold systemic injustice, and attempt to condemn it, simultaneously.

My prayers (and of course my thoughts...so many thoughts) are with Charlottesville, Virgina, and the many people of color who have endured through these scenes and images over the course of history.