Skip to main content

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/16/15

3 Up

1. Cleveland Indians - Major kudos to the Cleveland Indians who have been ultra supportive of Mike Aviles and his daughter, who is fighting leukemia. Not only did the organization agree to not trade Aviles out human respect as he deals with the personal issue (his daughter is being treated at the Cleveland Clinic for Leukimia), they also had his daughter toss the first pitch at this past Thursday's game. Well done Indians, well done. 

2. LeBron James - At the number two spot, we're staying in Cleveland with LeBron James this week announcing that he is funding college scholarships for up to 1,200 children in the city of Akron. Besides "The Decision", how can anyone find fault with LeBron James as a superstar athlete? A great way to give back to Akron. 

3. Dare Devil - Sure, this Netflix series came out in early 2015, but because of my work schedule (semester-by-semester academic schedule), I haven't gotten around to it until this summer. Dare Devil is a fantastic series. I actualy am looking forward to season 2. 

3 Down

1. ISIS - From the confirmation of raping captives and the beheading of others, this despicable group is now placing the bodies of those whom they murder on display. This group really, really, has no boundaries. 

2. "Michael Brown Bonus" - The police officer who posted his comment about him "about to spend his annual Michael Brown bonus" is a moron. Seriously. Horrible comment. Even worse time. You sir, are an example of incorrect, overuse of social media, and more so, furthering the negative image of police officers. 

3. Geno Smith - Well, this one didn't surprised us Jets fans. Only the New York Jets have their quarterback knocked out by a player on the fringe end of the depth chart. And then said player gets a job with a division rival, and somewhat seems justified in his actions. Only, the Jets. And yes, Geno Smith, no quarterback who has the respect of his teammates gets his jaw broken from a cheap shot by one of them. Again, only the Jets. 

Recently Read Posts

I Wore a Porzingis T-Shirt Today

The comments came all day long, and from everywhere.
"Nice shirt! Love me some Kristaps! If they trade him tonight, I tell you what, I'll help you chant 'Fire Phil'". 
"They better keep the Unicorn in New York."
"Hey, did they trade Porzingis? Please tell me they didn't trade KP!" 
These were some of the comments to come out of random conversations I had with complete and total strangers today as I rocked my Porzingis T-shirt jersey and some bright orange nike's. The move served as a therapeutic last ditch protesting effort to accentuating my (unfortunate) feelings for this basketball team representing this great and wonderful city. I'm with Porzingis. 
The first comment was made by the spry female usher guiding me to my seat at the Barclay's Center. The second was a thirteen year old boy who stood behind me on the Will Call line sparking a conversation of angst, frustration, and disappointment with the team we chose to suppor…

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…

The Pondering 10 - All-Time Favorite Championship Belts

With the WWE finally moving on from the ridiculousness that was the appearance of the WWE championship (Really, they kept a spinning title for eight years), and of course the unveiling the look of the title, it got the wheels turning on the best looks for championship belts. From pro wrestling, boxing (although, don't expect to see any on this list as they are usually ugly), and mixed martial arts, there are plenty of different models, types, and appearances that come with them. The following Pondering 10 list is my favorite all-time championship belts.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 1/31/16

3 Up
1. Awesome Nurse - I'm not fan of snow, but I do think everyone should at least experience it. After all, it's fun as a kid. So, when Lucy, a 7 year old recovering from bone marrow transplant, as well as others in the hospital, were unable to play in the snow storm that hit the North East earlier this week, a nurse braved the cold and mess, and brought the snow in. Sometimes a kind act is more than a simple one. 
2. Angelique Kerber - Beating Serena Williams is no east feat. Beating Williams in the Australian Open final for the Australian championship - very difficult. Kerber pulled off the task. On top of that, she became a Grand Slam champion with the victory. 
3. Radio Hosts Owns Caller - Bigotry lives, and these days, it's coming to the point where people aren't hiding it anymore. Listen to this caller who calls all Muslims, "maggots", his reasoning for it, and how the host really shuts him down. 
3 Down
1. Kanye West/Amber Rose - I hate how our cultu…