1. Cole Hamels - With the top of the week is Cole Hamels. In the midst of trade rumors, the lefty ace hurled a no-hitter against the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley field, which is no easy place to pitch. Congrats to Hamels. It should be interesting to see what uniform he is wearing this time next week.
2. FIFA 16 Video Game - OK, so FIFA still has a lot of making up to do to women across the world. After using the Women's World Cup as a "test" run on turf, FIFA seems to be finally being less-misogynistic and is now placing Alex Morgan on the cover of the FIFA 16 video game, gracing it along with Lionel Messi. Hey, it's a step forward, and that's a good thing.
3. John Smoltz - Besides being enshrined in the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Smoltz used his platform to tackle the issue of Tommy John surgery, especially when it is in regards to our youth, and their "specialization" at an early age. It's a message that needed to be said, and kudos to Smoltz for doing so.
1. Sandra Bland - Well, the coroner ruled it a suicide. Forgive me, but like many, this STILL just doesn't seem like it adds up. Something is amiss in this story. I just don't understand how Bland could go from accepting her dream job to deciding to commit suicide while in police custody. Just doesn't add up in my mind.
2. Louisiana Shooting - Well, we have ourselves another public shooting. This is beyond crazy, and sadly, we've become desensitized to these occurrences. "Just another one", right? Ugh. Where are we safe, anymore?
2. $15 Fast Food in NY - I've already touched on this issue with some personal opinions this week ($15 Per Hour Fast Food Wage is Absurd and Sends Wrong Message). Regardless, it is still a "down" as I don't believe NY State is really looking to make this a reality. Just absurd. Absolutely, absurd.
1. Josh Smith - Wow, dude. I can't believe you think the $6.9M you and your family will receive this year will be "hard on your family". Whether he meant it or not, it was an immensely dumb thing to say. Absolutely dumb.