1. Serena Williams - Her epic and emotional third set against Lucie Safarova this weekend to capture another French Open was awesome. Serena continues to be such a joy to watch, and is easily one of the greatest athletes of this generation. And oh yeah, how about the fluent French in her post-game speech? Wow!
2. American Pharaoh - Sure, I may not appreciate it wholly, but it still is a momentous and rare feat. The Triple Crown accomplishment was one for the memory books and still cool to witness.
3. NBA Finals - Two games in and this has been really, really fun. I can't wait to see what lies ahead.
1. Texas Pool Party - Everything about this story really makes me sad and and really angry at the same time. Cops being called for black kids in a neighborhood where white parents were telling them to "return to Section 8 housing" and cops who are pinning them on the ground and pointing guns at them is beyond excessive. It's just so sad for me as this embodies the type of segregation mindset that still exists and the growing distrust in law enforcement by minorities. Especially when the biker gang shootout situation a few weeks ago, involving all whites, was handled so well. Just doesn't look good.
2. Boston Fan - Such a sad occasion to see a woman at a Boston Red Sox game take a broken bat to the head. The early "life threatening" diagnosis was very disheartening. Glad to hear that she has at least improved to serious condition. At some point, it wouldn't shock me to see baseball take steps to extend safety nets down the lines just a bit.
3. China Cruise Ship - Sad news out of China has a cruise ship capsized with only 14 of the 456 surviving. The search continues, but the future outlook is really grim with 10 bodies unaccounted for.