Skip to main content

Remembering Dusty Rhodes


There I was in an airport terminal gate awaiting my flight to board when the news that came across my Twitter feed caused a certain life-stand-still kind of pause to my travel day - Dusty Rhodes dead at 69. 

Non-wrestling fans often don't get why the death of these larger than life figures affect us so greatly. What they don't understand is that these are characters, men, and synonymous figures who represent childhood, growth and fandom for wrestling fans. For years, they've grown with us on screen, and have provided years of memories for us throughout the years. 

Wrestling fans understand that. We get it. For the non-wrestling fan, I hope that sheds a bit of light on the perspective.

For me, Dusty Rhodes represents a sort of generational fandom and deeper significance. My dad was a huge wrestling fan in the 70's, 80's and early 90's before as he put it, "it all got crazy!". My pops, like many other old-school fans, is just not a fan of the newer presentation of pro wrestling. To each their own. 

Nonetheless, among his favorites were Bob Backlund, Gorilla Monsoon, Bruno Sammartino, Bobo Brazil, Rocky Johnson, and yes, Dusty Rhodes. My dad gravitated towards the "manly men" with the no-nonsense approach for a character/gimmick, and then there was Dusty Rhodes. As a kid I remember finding it hilarious that my dad rooted for those bad asses along with the man who wore yellow polka-dots, danced to the ring with Sapphire, and had one of the cheesiest theme songs, even when theme songs weren't a normal thing. 

He's just a common man, working hard with his hands...
He's just a common man, working hard for the man.
Hey, he's the 'Meeeeeeeeeeerican Dream! 

Still among the greatest of the greatest cheesiest themes songs in pro wrestling history. 

But of course, it was in fact the idea that he was the son of a plumber, a blue collar guy with so much charisma that drew my dad in, and eventually myself. But most of all, it was his promos. Boy, can Dusty Rhodes talk, with a style and swagger that is STILL unique to this day. One of a kind. And then I realized, what hard working, blue collar guy wouldn't love Dusty Rhodes? 

Then of course, my father explained to me that I should watch some of his "earlier" work before his WWF days. This blew my mind at a young age because the idea of someone having a "previous life" in wrestling felt so out there and beyond comprehension. For this New York City kid, it was like, "Dad there is something other than the WWF? Wait, what?!"

Dusty Rhodes before Dancing and Sapphire? What?!

Thank goodness for VHS. I was able to see Dusty in a more serious role, but still with the great promo and charismatic style that carried and transformed his distinct lisp from being something of embarrassment into something of uniqueness and genuine awesomeness. 

Dusty in many ways represented the beauty of the wrestling business. A common guy (son of a plumber, of course), who did not have the greatest physique, but indeed a hard worker with an abundance of natural charisma. He was the type of over-the-top legendary personalty we are so desperately losing out on in pro wrestling today, especially when most promos and guys are now slowly falling into a "formula". 

Dusty was one of my dad's guys, and eventually became one of mine. 

A true rarity in this genre us pro wrestling fans are so passionate about. 

I'm honored to have witnessed "Dusty Rhodes" over the years. And sincerely gracious to Virgil Runnels for his dedication and hard work in bringing enjoyment to my dad and myself.

Recently Read Posts

IMPACT Wrestling: First Impressions Under New Management

I wanted to wait for a full set of tapings to air under the new Impact Wrestling regime before making a judgement on the new product. After all, if the history of this company has taught me anything, it's never to really trust any sort of reset, new direction, or changeover it endures. As a follower since the very first show in 2002, this company has provided me with some of my favorite wrestling moments, but truthfully, has given me more heartache as of late than memorable moments. 
Nonetheless, here we are...again! This time, the "new beginning" is legit, with the key aspect being the removal of Dixie Carter, and the insert of Anthem as new owners, and the return of Jeff Jarrett in a weird Steve Jobs-sort of way, to do it the way he wanted to the first time. Maybe with a bit more seasoning and understanding this time around. 
After several weeks, I have to say, I am very pleased with the product. Very pleased. For this fan, dare I say, there is hope once again. Like, …

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 4/23/17

3 Up
1. Serena Williams - Just when Serena Williams' legend couldn't grown any larger, we find out this week that not only is she pregnant, but yes, she won her last major while pregnant. I've said it for awhile, but Williams is one of the best athletes of all-time. Certainly one of mine. 
2. Russell Westbrook - Yes, he's down 3-1 to James Harden and the Rockets, but the way he's putting up triple-doubles is unreal. It's basically video-game like at this point. 
3. Fox News - A slight minor hit for Fox in finally - FINALLY - doing away with Bill O'Reilly and cleaning up the good old boy club they allowed to dominate the station, while also sexually harassing many. White old men...the privilege and power it produces never ceases to amaze me. 
3 Down
1. North Korea Threat - So now North Korea is threatening to sink a U.S. Aircraft carrier. Anything North Korea typically makes me shake my head, and in the same though, concerned. It's amazing how weird the w…

2017 Bucket List #1 - Visit Marlins Park

My 14th MLB stadium (not counting the ones that are no longer - RIP old Yankee Stadium) was in fact Marlins Park in wonderful Miami, Florida. I had the opportunity to check off two bucket list items in my visit by seeing the park, AND being present for the World Baseball Classic opening round. Of course, I'll have more on the latter in another post.
Regardless, back to Marlins Park. My first and major takeaway is in fact tied to the bureaucracy that has surrounded the building since it's inception. The park is located in a peculiar location in Miami. Very apparent of the cheap land acquired, and the socioeconomics of the neighborhood that surrounds it. Though, much like the two games I went to, the ballpark has given many of the neighboring folks revenue-generating opportunities, renting out their front yards for parking and other tailgating opportunities. Makes for a unique concept.

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Captain Fantastic (2016)

What is it about? 
A father who raised his kids in the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest, is forced to enter the real world, and is challenged by specific values he holds dearly. 
Who is in it? 
Viggo Mortenson - Ben
George McKay - Bo
Samantha Wisler - Kielyr