Skip to main content

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Wild (2014)

What is it about? 

A woman journeys 1,100 miles through the Pacific Coast Trail to help deal with her recent issues and life occurrences. 

Who is in it?

Reese Witherspoon - Cheryl

Laura Dern - Bobbi


Thomas Sadoski - Paul
Favorite Scene: 

After coming upon a huge boulder early in her hike, Cheryl finds a way to get herself and her humongous trail pack over the rock blocking her path. After making it over, she stops and smirks in the minor accomplishment.

Favorite Quote: 

"What if I forgave myself? I thought. What if I forgave myself even though I'd done something I shouldn't have? What if I was a liar and a cheat and there was no excuse for what I'd done other than because it was what I wanted and needed to do? What if I was sorry, but if I could go back in time I wouldn't do anything differently than I had done? What if I'd actually wanted to f--- every one of those men? What if heroin taught me something? What if yes was the right answer instead of no? What if what made me do all those things everyone thought I shouldn't have done was what also had got me here? What if I was never redeemed? What if I already was?"

Review: 

I went into Wild expecting some type of coming-of-age movie wrapped up in feminism and woman power. However, while there is definitely some of that for the female audience, Wild is very artistic and authentic movie about life and dealing with the hardships that affect us as human beings. 

To be honest, the plot of hiking 1,100 miles, which is based on a true story, I was never really able to wrap my mind around. It makes for a great film and analogy, but in reality, I struggled to understand why one would do it to find themselves and overcome their issues. 

Regardless, the film is a good one, and one that will draw you into the character of Cheryl with her faults, her pain, her falls, her beauty, and her potential. Really, it's life. A very hard and raw character to be honest. 

And Wild, in my opinion, is Reese Witherspoon's best movie - ever. She was fantastic in the role. Just absolutely tremendous. I've always typecasted her (sure, my cross to bear), but this role definitely made me think of her abilities in a different spectrum. 

Wild is a great watch if you're looking for a film push your thoughts on everything that is life. 

I would recommend it to anyone who is into those sort of films. 

Grade: 3/5

Recently Read Posts

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye:

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Pondering Picture #81

An establishment cannot uphold systemic injustice, and attempt to condemn it, simultaneously.

My prayers (and of course my thoughts...so many thoughts) are with Charlottesville, Virgina, and the many people of color who have endured through these scenes and images over the course of history.