Skip to main content

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 5/31/15

3 Up

1. LeBron James - Talk about being a monster. James is re-writing his legacy before our eyes as he is in the NBA Finals for the 5th straight year, especially, with his current group of misfits on the Cleveland Cavaliers. And with the Heat out of the picture, it strengthens his case that much more. Beast! 

2. Oldest Marathon Runner - I'm all for physical health and wellness, after all, it's my line of work for a living. So imagine the fist pump I gave when I read that 92 year old Harriette Thompson became the oldest woman to ever finish a marathon. Jees, so for those of use who never have run a marathon, what's our excuse?

3. Destination America - How could a channel be in complete obscurity to the wrestling fan a year ago, all of a sudden be the focus of their DVRs? Well, DA is re-writing the television manual with a new "wrestling block" on Wednesday nights with competing - yes, competing! - companies, ROH and TNA going back-to-back for three hours. And yup, you know that my DVR is set. Pretty pumped about it. 

3 Down

1. Houston Flood - Personally, this occurrence was really shocking as I never thought something like this would occur in Houston. Nonetheless, the floods which took the lives of many and damaged the city is very sad. Just an awful situation, especially those who lost loved ones. 

2. Biden Family - Such a tragic loss for Vice President, Joe Biden, who lost his son to brain cancer this week. Vice President Biden has had to bury his first wife, a daughter, and now his son. I can't even imagine the grief and hurt he must carry with him in his life.

3. FIFA - This didn't shock anyone who follows the world's game. FIFA has been corrupt for a long time now, and the fact that they were caught and the President was re-elected is baffling. Like James Dolan hiring sort of baffling. 

Recently Read Posts

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye:

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Pondering Picture #81

An establishment cannot uphold systemic injustice, and attempt to condemn it, simultaneously.

My prayers (and of course my thoughts...so many thoughts) are with Charlottesville, Virgina, and the many people of color who have endured through these scenes and images over the course of history.