Skip to main content

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

What is it about?

The true story of Jordan Belfort who rose to fame, enormous wealth on Wall Street, and enjoying a outrageous lifestyle before it all came to an end due to illegal crime, corruption, and the pursuit of the federal government. 

Who is in it?

Leonardo DiCaprio - Jordan Belfort

Jonah Hill - Donnie Azoff

Kyle Chandler - Agent Patrick Denham

Favorite Scene:

When Bellfort and crew decide to smuggle money into Switzerland to stash away in Swiss banks, Donnie is supposed to drop money off to his hired "rathole", but instead lets his personal feelings get in the way as he begins insulting him and thus botching the hand off in public. This creates a crack in the entire operation when police close in on the intriguing scene. 

Favorite Quote:

Jordan Belfort: Sell me this pen.
Brad: Write me your name on this napkin.
Jordan Belfort: I can't, I don't have a pen.
Brad: There you go, it's a matter of supply and demand.

Review:

Wow. Anyone who watches this film will walk away with plenty of thoughts - positive and negative, depending on your opinion - but regardless, they will still be in shock. I guess I should open by saying overall, I enjoyed the Wolf of Wall Street. Some aren't able to take the amount profanity, graphic sex scenes, drugs, and other sheer debauchery in the film. And to be quite honest, there were times I wanted to walk away. But overall, I think it was used to really bring forward just how out of control the lifestyle was, and well is, for the Belforts of today. 

And yes, at some point, you become a bit desensitized to the f-word. As it's been well documented, it set a film record for being said the most times in history for a film. Prepare yourself. 

However, if (a big IF) you can get past those issues, the Wolf of Wall Street is an interesting movie that sheds life on the life of Jordan Belfort and the craziness that possibly occurs everyday from the 1% in our country. Director Martin Scorcese does a fantastic job of presenting this in the film, especially the scene in the final moments of Agent Dunham on the subway going home after a hard days work. Is this what good people get? And of course, again, the scary thought, just how many Jordan Belforts are currently out there. 

Luckily, Scorcese used humor to really soften the blow of many of the over exorbitant or sad things that came about in the issues of drug addiction, prostitution, illegal activity, and everything that made up Belfort's glutton life. 

As for what makes this film a huge plus is indeed the acting. Great acting by all involved. And of course, Leanardo DiCaprio was really, really, really good. He was fantastic. Everything about his portrayal of Jordan Belfort was a real joy to watch unfold. 

Again, wow. From the elements that make up the movie, to the provoked thoughts that these are the kind of people who run our nation financially, this movie leaves you taken back. 

Regardless, if you have the stomach for it, give it a watch. If not, consider it smut, and move along It's really a personal call. 

Grade: 4/5

Recently Read Posts

I Wore a Porzingis T-Shirt Today

The comments came all day long, and from everywhere.
"Nice shirt! Love me some Kristaps! If they trade him tonight, I tell you what, I'll help you chant 'Fire Phil'". 
"They better keep the Unicorn in New York."
"Hey, did they trade Porzingis? Please tell me they didn't trade KP!" 
These were some of the comments to come out of random conversations I had with complete and total strangers today as I rocked my Porzingis T-shirt jersey and some bright orange nike's. The move served as a therapeutic last ditch protesting effort to accentuating my (unfortunate) feelings for this basketball team representing this great and wonderful city. I'm with Porzingis. 
The first comment was made by the spry female usher guiding me to my seat at the Barclay's Center. The second was a thirteen year old boy who stood behind me on the Will Call line sparking a conversation of angst, frustration, and disappointment with the team we chose to suppor…

Turning Thirty-Two

Today, I turn thirty-two. There is just something odd about this age - like twenty-three was, or twenty-eight was, you know, the mile markers in between the rest stops - that just doesn't carry the super significance as 21 and 30 did. Although, at this stage of life, there are many mile markers, and those celebratory rest stops are much, much fewer in between. 
Though, it wasn't too long ago I passed a big one - thirty! And if you remember, I loved becoming AND being thirty. To be honest, I enjoyed being thirty-one, and really, thirty-two already seems kick-ass. Call me crazy, my thirties have been VERY enjoyable. 
But as I turn thirty-two, there isn't much significance in the number, but truly, it's about the changes in myself. Thirty was just two years away, and I am already better than that version of myself. This year marked ten years since I've graduated from college (Things I Would tell My college Self), and I am a much better version of myself compared to t…

The Pondering 10 - All-Time Favorite Championship Belts

With the WWE finally moving on from the ridiculousness that was the appearance of the WWE championship (Really, they kept a spinning title for eight years), and of course the unveiling the look of the title, it got the wheels turning on the best looks for championship belts. From pro wrestling, boxing (although, don't expect to see any on this list as they are usually ugly), and mixed martial arts, there are plenty of different models, types, and appearances that come with them. The following Pondering 10 list is my favorite all-time championship belts.

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 1/31/16

3 Up
1. Awesome Nurse - I'm not fan of snow, but I do think everyone should at least experience it. After all, it's fun as a kid. So, when Lucy, a 7 year old recovering from bone marrow transplant, as well as others in the hospital, were unable to play in the snow storm that hit the North East earlier this week, a nurse braved the cold and mess, and brought the snow in. Sometimes a kind act is more than a simple one. 
2. Angelique Kerber - Beating Serena Williams is no east feat. Beating Williams in the Australian Open final for the Australian championship - very difficult. Kerber pulled off the task. On top of that, she became a Grand Slam champion with the victory. 
3. Radio Hosts Owns Caller - Bigotry lives, and these days, it's coming to the point where people aren't hiding it anymore. Listen to this caller who calls all Muslims, "maggots", his reasoning for it, and how the host really shuts him down. 
3 Down
1. Kanye West/Amber Rose - I hate how our cultu…