Skip to main content

2014 Bucket List - #32 Visit Oriole Park at Camden Yards


I've been to Oriole Park at Camden Yards before this past weekend, but oddly, not for a game. The first time, was on a visit to Baltimore to visit family. I took a walk down to the park with some cousins. I walked around, gazed at the numbers outside of the back entrance, and of course, peeked in through the gates. Very similar to my visits to Dodger Stadium and Angel Stadium. The other time was when I played baseball in college, and our then coach scheduled a tour of the stadium. Both times, like every baseball fan could attest to, Oriole Park was awesome. 

So as the tag team partner and I stopped in Baltimore for the first leg of a two-part-two-city baseball-filled weekend, I was excited to be at Oriole Park for a game, or in my mind, officially at Oriole Park. And of course, as I remembered, Oriole Park was just as beautiful. Just as charming. And just as everyone always claims it is - one of the best places in baseball to watch a game.

Of course, since my last visit, there have been minor upgrades such as the scoreboards, the updated and renovation of the famous warehouse out on Eutaw street, and of course, some other minor upgrades which have taken place in other sports facilities. 

As the first ballpark to break the "cookie-cutter" phenomenon in 1992, the feel and presence of the harbor and neighboring bars and restaurants around the ballpark gives Oriole Park a special feel. It's a great experience to behold for an Orioles game in downtown Baltimore. One can only imagine what it is like on Sundays for Ravens games as the city's other beloved team plays right next door and even shares parking lots. 

A great place for fans before O's games

Finally, I will give credit where credit is due - Oriole fans are tremendous. From the surprising and traditional "O's!" during the national anthem, to the overwhelming support of the team, Baltimore loves it's team. It really felt like everyone - EVERYONE - in the city owned some type of Orioles gear. You really get a feel for the knowledge, love, and passion the city has for the team when newly acquired Andrew Miller entered the game and received a standing ovation.

Across the way is M&T Bank Stadium

I'll admit, that passion just isn't seen anymore in the New Yankee Stadium here in New York. Between pricing out the real fans and plenty of spoiled fans, it just isn't the same. Deep down, it pains me to say that, but it's true. And I hate it. 

And lastly, as a big guy, the seat comfort is always a major point for me in stadiums. Oriole Park, in the upper deck had enough room for my 6 foot 5 inch frame. Huge plus. 

All in all, Oriole Park is fantastic. In the grand scheme of baseball ballparks I've visited, Oriole Park nicely fits in behind the old Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park as my all-time favorites. 

#32 completed. Boom.

Recently Read Posts

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

I Am My Brother's Keeper (Part 1)

It's been almost seven years since I last saw or heard from my oldest brother. No phone calls. No text messages. Not even a Facebook friend request. So as I sit here contemplating the words in which I will place on a note that he will eventually read, I am torn, emotional, confused, and even a bit reluctant to go through with this process. However, I know I have to do this. It is an act that will eventually close a chapter that is still open, though it has been cold for this long. And whether he accepts this initiative on my part in this tangled web, or whether he decides to throw those anticipated and hopeful words out with the trash, one way or another, this chapter of silence comes to an end. 
I've never really mentioned my oldest brother here at the DP. In fact, until my wedding, I've never mentioned any of my brothers. Like many of you reading this, I have quite the unorthodox family. And for those of you who don't, count your blessings, and do not take it for gr…

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye: