Skip to main content

The European Chronicles - 6/9/14

Day Fourteen. 

London, England.

We slept passed 7:00am for the first time in two weeks today and it felt tremendous. Who knew sleeping until 8:45am would feel like such a luxury? Regardless, on our final full day in Europe, why not sleep a little bit? We've been focused on attempting to maximize our time ever since we crossed the pond so much that it becomes very easy to overlook allowing ourselves some rest and relaxation before the grind of reality returns. 

After a big breakfast, probably the best we've had on this journey, we ventured again around London with our maps looking to take in parts of the downtown area. First, we made our way over to the Natural History Museum where we took in the cool building, because after all, this trip has turned me into an architecture and art expert. Also, we were able to see dinosaurs! Yes, I meant that exclamation point because what is cooler to see in a museum than dinosaurs? 

We then made our way via the tube to take in other wonderful sites of London including the London Bridge (which is so disappointing), the Millennium Bridge (very cool), the London Tower (very iconic, and I see why), and other parks, areas, buildings, and stretches in downtown London. 

This was followed up with a walk over to Regent Street to take in some more of London's famed shopping area, more of the culture, the people, and of course, we found more gelato. Yup, gelato. Man, I miss the stuff. I'm not sure what I am going to do when I get back to the States. Again, I can't eat ice cream ever again. 

There were plans to see some of the Premier League Soccer stadiums, yes, more sports business and management geekiness stuff, but they are all spread out too far across parts of London. However, I could see Stamford Bridge, home of Chelsea FC, from my hotel view. Maybe when we return we'll take a tour - possibly, when the EPL is in season. 

Here are some photos from today's adventure. Click to enlarge.


















All in all, London is fantastic. 

And well, Italy was outstanding. 

This two week journey in Europe has been amazing and memorable. We head back to the States tomorrow where I plan to wrap up this series for good. 

For now, I am off to enjoy our last night here in London as we hit the local pubs for some brews and dinner. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -