Skip to main content

2014 Bucket List #31 - Attend a TNA Wrestling Taping


I've been hoping (really hoping!) for the longest time that TNA would bring a batch of TNA tapings to this wonderful city. Every time they decided to take an Impact broadcast on the road, or hype the announcement of the location of a future pay-per-view, I genuinely think in my head - OK, this is it, they're coming babaaay! NYC!

Ummmmm, yeah. Not so much. And I'm left disappointed whenever the announcement is made. Sometimes it's a city that I just tip my hat and say, "Alright, enjoy the show chicago!" Or I just end up shaking my head in annoyance while I'm raging inside with comments like - Miami?!!! Seriously! That's where you're going? Over us?!

See, I was in attendance for TNA's first New York State show ever, which took place at the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY and was inside of a barn. Yes, it was a facility used for horse shows and TNA ran this arena. It was interesting, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Of course, there were then the first set of NYC house shows ever in the Hamerstein Ballroom and Webster Hall, the many shows in Westbury with the weird low concert hangover limiting top rope moves, and of course, the wide open events at MCU Park (then Keystone Park) here in the Coney Island section of Brooklyn. 

All shows were packed. Some even broke some attendance records for the company. 

So yeah, maybe I took it a little personal when they went elsewhere. But I felt had convincing evidence on why they shouldn't. Nonetheless, back in April when news broke that TNA would be running two three-day sets of tapings this summer in New York City, I had to get tickets. And I did. Two sets in fact. And boy was I glad I did. 

The tapings, which served as a soft re-boot for the company was highly entertaining, especially the Thursday night taping which was one of the best wrestling shows I've ever been to. And yes, more entertaining than Wrestlemania. Actually, not even close. 

TNA returns here in August, and I'm very much looking forward to going again. I also very well can't wait to see the shows which will air soon. Yours truly and the tag team partner sat right next to the entrance for the wrestlers during those Thursday tapings, and pretty much will be seen on TV. Especially one shot where the cameraman came around and I proceeded to yell directly into it. Yup, I can't wait until one of my students comes across that visual on TV.And yes, my wife is horrified at the prospectus of those shots.

Nonetheless, both nights were awesome! The TNA crew works really hard and it's easily noticeable when you're in attendance. I'll touch base on more in my Pondering with Plumtree column for TNAsylum this weekend. For now, below are a few pictures taken from the two nights of tapings that I attended.










#31 completed. Twice! Boom. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -