Skip to main content

The Pondering 10 - Things I Miss About College

Working on a college/university campus, it is pretty hard not to see your days as an undergraduate in the eyes of those who I mentor or interact with. I see so many things daily, hear students talk about "what happened last night", and help many of them discuss issues and find their way through this life, I can't help but think back on those days in which I was in their shoes. Although overall, I don't miss it (another post to come!), there are some aspects I do miss about college. This Pondering 10 are exactly those things that I miss the most about college.


10. Cafeteria Offerings - I was one who really had no complaints about cafeteria food. After all, no it wasn't a five-star meal, but it was good, and some nights (especially Hot Dog Bar and chicken tenders nights), it was great. However, as an adult, I really just miss being able to walk to the cafeteria and have an abundance of food already made and hot, just waiting for me to serve myself and enjoy. 

Unless you are rich with a butler, adulthood doesn't have that. 



9. Awesome Professors - I was fortunate to have some pretty awesome professors during my undergraduate years, one who I still consider the greatest professor I've ever had (undergrad and graduate), and I'm lucky enough to remain in contact with her.

Awesome professors are those mentors that will change your outlook on life, challenge you, and provide you with the proper skills to continue to succeed. You never wanted to miss their classes. Those were the classes that made college seem like higher learning, and not just requirements. 

Tough replacing those kind of relationships.



8. Summers/Winter Breaks - Looking back on it now, maybe working hard for four months in the Fall and four months in the beginning of the year with long breaks in the Winter and Summer isn't that tough. 



7. Friends in Remote Place - Good luck trying to squeeze friends in to hangout as an adult. Between work and life, there is the matching up of schedules and further planning to hang out. And that's if your friends are in the same area as you. If they live more than 30 miles, it gets even tougher to stay in contact.

Nothing like having your friends in your room, suite, or dorm. Just a walk down the hall to hangout.



6. Randomness - C'mon, we all have so many stories of random things that happened in college. The sudden party, the impromptu decision to take a road trip, or the choice to pile furniture in front of a friend's door - there are so many stupid ideas that came up. I still remember playing random games of "suite golf" in our suite (of course) at night during my senior year. We'd just come up with random courses inside the suite and would play for hours...most likely procrastinating from working on our capstone projects. 



5. Sleeping in/Naps - Gosh, if I could only take a two o' clock nap these days. Heck, some nights I'd be lucky if I get five hours of sleep!



4. Athletics - I miss playing college baseball. I really do. And I miss being able to cheer on my friends, and my school's team in other sports. Sure, I work in college athletics now and I root for students-athletes, some who I have developed relationships with, but for some reason, it's just not the same. It actually makes you miss being on the other end more.



3. Pick-Up Basketball/Intramurals - One of my favorite parts of college were the countless hours of pick-up basketball we played and the intramural tournaments that determined bragging rights. We might have played at least five days a week. Besides summer softball and the occasional pickup game here and there, it's tough to really satisfy those competitive urges now.



2. Social Conversations/discussions/observations - Hanging out in the dorms, either playing video games, drinking brews, or watching sports, and discussing any and everything from sports, politics, social norms, and of course, girls, especially, girls - lots of good times!


1. Sweatpants, Sweatshirts, and Shorts - Ok, I'm sure many of you may disagree. But there is just something about college's social acceptance of sweatpants, sweatshirts, and shorts that I loved. Just get up, throw on some sweats, and roll on out. As a working professional, I long for those days. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.