Skip to main content

2013 Bucket List - #34 Go Snorkeling


Ummm, yes! No need to rub your eyes, to adjust your screen or even refresh this page. The task above is indeed correct. Yours truly accomplished this task while in the great island of Barbados, and quite honestly, it was something I didn't see coming either. 

After all, lets just get to the obvious statement in the air right now - I can't swim. I suck at it. I'm terrible. And to be honest, if you threw me in the ocean, I'd probably just start getting ready to meet Jesus. My swimming ability is about a 5 out of a 100. Although, I'd like to believe I have a great excuse - while many kids were learning at a young age or even during their early teen years to swim, I was still dealing with post surgery effects on my left leg. So, the issue was never in the cards.
 
But with all of that said, by way of the wonderful fellas that work at Cool Runnings Catamaran Cruises in Barbados, I was able to go out in the Caribbean Sea and snorkel, courtesy of my trusty life vest. Ahhhhhhh, God bless the person that invented the life vest! What a wonderful, wonderful device. So as I paraded around the waters with the only object separating me from death (literally) around my body, I was able to use my limited swimming skills sans left leg (pretty much a one finned style) to see turtles and a cool shipwreck.

I know, I know...looks more sports bra than life vest

Growing my confidence (and somewhat, my damaged ego), I wasn't the only survival-ill-equipped person on board, as some others struggled and declined to enter the waters again at the ship wreck site. 

I'll hang my hat on that...at least I showed up and tried. And that's hardest part in life, right? 

Either way, I snorkeled. Yes, with mask, snorkel, and of course, my new best friend...the life vest. 

Maybe one day I'll take swim lessons. Maybe when I have a kid, and they are learning also, so that it's not so embarrassing. For now, I'll just stay close to the shore. 

#34, Go Snorkeling, completed. Boom. 

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -