Skip to main content

2013 Bucket List - #10 Learn to Say "Hello" in Ten Languages


It's been proven that there are two distinct times of the year where productivity in the workplace are at its lowest. The number one period is the week between Christmas and New Years Day, and the other is the week of Thanksgiving. 

As the sun continues to set on the year that is 2013, and the planning and pondering ramps up for the DP's biggest post of the year, I found myself perusing the 2013 Bucket List (go ahead, take a look on the left sidebar) and looking at what I failed to accomplish this year. 

With plenty of downtime at work (and of course falling into statistically proven behavior), I decided to simply knock one of the easiest tasks off the list in learning how to say "hello" in ten different languages.


I've always admired those who are multi-lingual, and find it rather embarrassing that English is the only language I have confidence communicating with. Us Americans are so arrogant. It's rather sad. Even more so when you think about the amount of required foreign language classes in High School curriculum's across the country. 

Including High School and Junior High School, I've taken five years of Spanish classes. I've passed them all. I've even done well on some advanced class exams. Yet, here I am, and the only stronghold on the language I have is to listen and recognize a verb, or a word in a statement or sentence, and pretty much throw out my best educated guess on what was being said. ¿Por qué no estoy trabajando? Ahhhhh, yes, yes! I think it says something about work! I'm so bilingual!

Nonetheless, with that said, I picked ten languages that are most likely to be heard here in New York City. You know, for that one day where I'll be able to say "Hello" to someone in their native language and then awkwardly submit by looking down and shamefully admitting the end to a once engaging, and potentially helpful (on their end), conversation. 

With that said, here are those translations along with phonetic pronunciation in the event you'd also like to learn:

Italian - Ciao [ch-ou] or Buongiorno! [bwawn-jawr-NO!]

Portuguese - Olá [Oh-LAH]

Albanian - Tungjatjeta [toon-jah-TYEH-tah]

German - Hallo [hah-LOW] or Guten Tag [goo-tehn-tach]

Irish Gaelic - Dia duit [dia gwit]

Yiddish - Shalom [shah-lohm]

Japanese - Konnichiwa [Kohn-nee-chee-WAH]

Chinese - Nǐ hǎo [nee-haOW]

Haitian Creole - Bonjoo [bon-ju]

Russian - Privyet [pree-vee-et]

The good thing is, learning this is at least work related. Not a total loss of productivity this week.

#10 completed. Boom.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -