Skip to main content

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 6/23/13

3 Up

1. LeBron James - Kudos to the best basketball player on the planet on winning his second NBA championship.

2. Trop Fest New York 2013 - I heard of the world-wide festival two years ago and never really thought much of it. This year, the festival made Brooklyn one of it's stops and I attended with the tag team partner. Had a great time with some interesting bands/artists, and the collection of some very good short films. Looking forward to attending again next year.

3. Rum - Weird, right? Just like any culture does, and just like those parents who believe in old home remedies, like mine do from the West Indian part of the world, I was told to drink a mixture of rum, honey, and lemon juice to help aid in my sickness. After giving up and willing to try just about anything, I threw back several two glasses Saturday night, and another one today. Lo and behold, I have been feeling much better. Guess what's on tap for tomorrow night while watching Monday Night Raw?

3 Down

1. Long-term illnesses - Yes, I am still sick, and it sucks. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwly getting better.

2. Bad Baby Names - I'm never one to get caught up in the hype like others with these celebrity baby names and such. Name your kid what you wish, ya know? However, when there are reports of Nazi followers naming their kids things such as "Aryan Nation" and "Adolph Hitler", and now Kanye West and Kim Kardashian with the brilliant name of "North West", it boggles the mind on society's direction (no pun intended regarding North West)

3. Manu Ginobili - I have no idea what Ginobili was doing in the final two games of the NBA Finals. At times he can be fun to watch, but this past week was brutal.

Recently Read Posts

Unpacking Thoughts on Charlottesville

This weekend has been exhausting. Despite the constant systemic injustice that is the United States of America, it's a moment like this weekend that is delivered and must be unpacked and discussed carefully in the pursuit of social justice - justice that is long deserved. 
There is plenty wrapped up in everything that is Charlottesville, Virigina. This is deep, spans back to the beginning of this nation, and is a result of current times as well. 
I'm still decompressing it all. Here are a few quick thoughts as I too wrap my mind, my emotions, and my intellect and rationale around it:

I Am My Brother's Keeper (Part 1)

It's been almost seven years since I last saw or heard from my oldest brother. No phone calls. No text messages. Not even a Facebook friend request. So as I sit here contemplating the words in which I will place on a note that he will eventually read, I am torn, emotional, confused, and even a bit reluctant to go through with this process. However, I know I have to do this. It is an act that will eventually close a chapter that is still open, though it has been cold for this long. And whether he accepts this initiative on my part in this tangled web, or whether he decides to throw those anticipated and hopeful words out with the trash, one way or another, this chapter of silence comes to an end. 
I've never really mentioned my oldest brother here at the DP. In fact, until my wedding, I've never mentioned any of my brothers. Like many of you reading this, I have quite the unorthodox family. And for those of you who don't, count your blessings, and do not take it for gr…

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 8/13/17

3 Up
1. Los Angeles Dodgers - In a rough week where the real world just crushes us, the dominance of the Dodgers is one that leaves us in awe, and can take us out into something great for a few minutes. 
2. Derek Jeter The Owner - Is there anything that Derek Jeter loses at? The Captain is now part owner of the Miami Marlins, and get this - will be the first owner and CEO of color within MLB. That's HUGE. 
3. Married at 98 - These two are getting married at 98 (He's 94). How about they both workout at the gym twice-a-week, and met there. So cool in so many ways. Good for them! 
3 Down
1. Charlottesville - So many layers to this story. Hate. History. The ridiculous response from our President. And the apparent shock some in this country have that people are out there who still have this ideology. Point blank, this was terrorism. 
2. Trump and North Korea - Just before Charlottesville, Trump talked tough for absolutely no reason in a back-and-forth that unfortunately effects hund…

Dope Sports Threads - MLB Player's Weekend Gear

I love everything about MLB Player's Weekend. From the moment it was rumored way back over the winter, I have been anticipating the announcements of what I feel is baseball finally - FINALLY - looking to modernize itself. Well, at least just a bit. Baby steps.

While I love MLB Uniforms and the tradition that comes with them, I do get annoyed with the over-abundance and wacky uniforms we see from the NBA. With that said, I like the idea of keeping this to one weekend. Where it becomes sort of a spectacle. And it is thus far.

Ultimately, I like that players are getting more say so in changing the antequated mentality that baseball currently has here in the States. Regardless, I'm sure most have seen the names, the uniforms and the gear. Here are my thoughts on the ones that caught my eye: