Skip to main content

Birthday Ramblings on 28

Well, it's my birthday. And yes, I too hear Fifty Cents, "In Da Club" when I wrote that statement. "Go, go, go, shawty, it's yo birthday, we gon' party like it's yo birthday!" Nonetheless, yours truly is one year older, and one year wiser (I think?) at the age of twenty-eight years old. 

In the past two years, I've had the posts of "What Does (Fill in Age Here) Mean?" (What Does 26 Mean?) (What Does 27 Mean?) Quite frankly, I didn't want to go that route this year for the age of twenty eight. And the truth is, I'm not sure if I could if I wanted to. 

Twenty-eight feels awesome. It really does. It still hasn't hit me as of yet, but when it does, I'm not sure if I will have the same amount of life convictions the way I did about the previous two years. I can pose the same question this year - what does 28 mean? -  and instead, literally be searching for answer myself.

Maybe twenty eight has no meaning. It's just what it is. Just another year. Or maybe it's just an extension of 27? A small part of an entire period that leads until the next big step of 30. I don't Know. I really don't, as I'm going on the fly here. Something that could be, and has proven to be highly dangerous for the DP. 

Whatever it is, today as I sit here and punch the keys the way I have over the past few years on May 25ths (New Beginnings), each year having distinct checkpoints in my life, I literally have nothing to focus on in my life. Instead, I sit here and think about my family, my friends, and my wonderful wife. 

Maybe in the wake of watching coverage of the devastation left behind after those wicked tornadoes ran through Moore, Oklahoma, self-evaluation feels shameful. Self-evaluation feels small. Self evaluation feels like it's over-thinking it all. And reacting with the heart is the best evaluation, solution, and reaction to any devastation or situation. You know, the way Kevin Durant did.

[Side Blog: I find it weird that two years ago when I turned 26, the recent tornadoes and devastation in Joplin, Missouri forced similar thoughts on my birthday.]

[Side, Side Blog: How awesome was the donation and efforts of Kevin Durant? Donating $1 Million for tornado relief is such an inspirational offer, not to mention the time he took to visit the site, meet those greatly affected, and has offered to return as well. Much kudos to KD!] 

At twenty-eight, maybe it's a realization that even with thirty on the horizon, certain expectations from life really are insignificant and small. Like the inevitable comparison of your existing life to that of what you projected life to be at this point back when you were twenty one, because you know, you had it all figured out back then. After all, didn't we all?

Or heck, maybe like that confidence-crushing-comparison of your life to others at that point in time. Since we all fall for the grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side syndrome from time-to-time. 

Sometimes, a birthday, a celebration, an age, can be as simple as what it is. Another year on this earth. Another year of being blessed. 

Can 28 be as simple as count your blessings and celebrate life?

I think it very much is. 

Happy Birthday to me...and to all of you, belated or coming, as well.

Recently Read Posts

Defending the NFL - I Just Don't Get It

Yes, I don't watch football. Well, not anymore. 
I've been completey sober for two years, not counting that one hiccup in watching the Super Bowl in February. 
So yeah, I'm not into football. I'm not particularly fond of the sport's connection to CTE issues, it's blatant obstruction or disregard for science expressing it's connection to football, nor its handling of various matters over the years. And that's even before Colin Kaepernick decided to shake the core of our nation's reality my simply dropping to a knee. 
I actually don't even care for the sport, really. The NFL is rather gross in all that it is, and has been for a long time. And for those touting college football and it's culture - excuse me. I was born, raised, and currently live in the North East. I have friends and colleagues in the South and across the country who revel in those sagas that exist only for and around Saturdays in the Fall. But, not even college football intere…

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 12/10/17

3 Up
1. Brian Cashman - Yes, I was one of those crazies that followed the breaking story of Stanton to the Yankees on Friday night into Saturday morning - until 4:00am to be exact. I still can't believe it's real. More so, can we give credit to Brian Cashman, who continues to prove doubters wrong in his wheeling and dealing? The rebuilding was one year, and well, that included being one win from the World Series. Just Crazy. 
2. Get Out - I finally got around to watching the Jordan Peele film, and it's absolutely amazing. So thought provoking in so many ways. A great film, and ironically, one that has me thinking about visiting the in-laws in a week or so. Just kidding...sort of. 
3. Supergirl - This girl is 16 and already can squat way more than I could. Such a crazy story, but an inspirational one. Definitely give it a read. 
3 Down
1. Roy Moore - "I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery..." SMH. Yet, we still hear…

Dome Pondering Movie Review: Get Out (2017)

What is it about?
A Young black men spends the weekend at his white girlfriend's parent's house. What happens next gives way to a thriller, but more so, a microcosm of race relations in society. 
Who is in it?
Allison Williams - Rose Armitage
Daniel Kaluuya - Chris Washington

Pro Wrestling's Interesting Place in 2017

For me, pro wrestling is an interesting place. And it got here in 2017. 
For the pro wrestling fan, there are plenty of current options. We're not talking the kind of options that was once out there on a national level (ala WCW and ECW), but the kind we now have in various indie operations, the many regions that are currently on fire (UK Scene), and yes, those that you can simply log onto YouTube, or some other streaming service to find content of.
The pro wrestling fan doesn't have to have cable anymore. Actually, there isn't much of a need for cable as is. And quite frankly, the pro wrestling fan probably doesn't even need national wrestling companies as well.
Just like the pro wrestling fan, I too find myself in this peculiar area on the spectrum seeking and exploring various organizations, offerings, and presentations of the art form that is available. Much like I did in the past, I'm open to seeing what's out there, and more importantly, what is entertain…