Skip to main content

Viva Las Vegas (Again!) - Part 4


Well, it's my last day here in this place, and as I said last night, I am pretty much itching to get out of here. Whether that is from the smoke in the air or the sin-filled filth that is everywhere in this city, I'm not sure, but heading back East is something I can't wait to do. 

I miss New York City. And, yeah, I miss my wife. 

So with that said, here some other tidbits from my days here:

Viva Las Vegas (Again!) - Part 1
Viva Las Vegas (Again!) - Part 2
Viva Las Vegas (Again!) - Part 3

Hotel

Outside of Planet Hollywood

I enjoyed four days and three nights here at Planet Hollywood in a room that was not as luxurious as my room was my room at the Venetian during my first trip, but it was still pretty sweet. No scenic view hovering over the city with the Vegas mountains in the backdrop, but having a king-sized bed and a huge television in my bathroom was pretty sweet. 

And yes, I totally watched SportsCenter every morning while showering. 

Food


Gordon Ramsey Steak

The food, probably my favorite part about Las Vegas, was awesome. I tried and ate at a variety of places ranging in health and price. From the awesome Chicken Cordon Blue sandwich at Le Burger Brassieri, to trying Pink's hotdogs for the first time, to the Sugar Facory's signature club sandwich, to lunch at Todd English's Olive, to the complete awesomeness that is Gordon Ramsey Steak, and finally, my favorite, all you can eat pancakes at Cheeseburger Las Vegas, everything was great. Except now, I need to run about forty miles to offset the four day splurge.

Travel

Verrrrrrrry little leg room. Thanks Delta!

I hate Delta airlines. Second time I've flown with them, and both times have been terrible. The cabins are super small, seats uncomfortable, and the overall experience is just annoying. Maybe I'm just used to the awesomeness that is JetBlue.

Only person not in a full row. Made sure to let everyone know.
On my flight out here, I sat in a middle seat that was too small for me. I had to endure watching a man who had an entire row to himself lay in the fetal position and constantly and consistently rang for the attendant. In fact, before we even got to the runway for take off, he called for a pillow and blanket. To add to the nightmarish flight, a man in the seat behind me snored like he was trying to be heard back in New York. Yes, Delta, not a fan at all.

Conference

Finally, the NIRSA conference was great. I sat in on many sessions that are sure to help me in the present and the future. I also was able to make many connections and contacts from the other schools in our conference, as well as many other schools from around the nation. I came away from it with a high sense of knowledge on where I would like to my intramural program, and a ton of ways and ideas on how I can do it.

---

All in all, this is why I was here among many of the other occurrences. Therefore, a successful conference means a successful trip. I plan on checking out in the next five minutes...I won't miss Vegas, but, because of what Vegas has meant so far to my career professionally, I'll never forget my trips out here. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.