Skip to main content

Bracing For 2013...and Half of 2014

Happy New Year DP devotees! And what better way to kick off the new year than by making an announcement? How about a declaration of improvement in the spirit of resolutions and making goals for 2013. Yours truly has bitten the bullet and has gotten braces once again. 

I know, not the major announcement you were looking forward to. 

However, after years of my teeth taking it upon themselves to head in any direction it pleases, completely disregarding the two years of prior treatment I had as a teenager to put them where they were, I made an appointment with an orthodontist, and boom, here I am kicking off the new year going through this process again.

I've said it many times, braces were the the worst pain I ever felt in my life. Worse than broken bones, torn ligaments, sprains, and even knee pain. Nothing will ever compare to that pain of having metal braces placed on your teeth for the first time. The sensitivity. The headaches. The uncomfortableness. The inconvenience. And yes, the insecurity of your appearance.

So yes, as a sixteen year old teenager, these were all things I had to deal with. However, as a twenty-seven year old man, the thought of braces not only brought flashes of all of those things, but the sheer weirdness of being an adult with braces. 

Invisalign, saving adults with crooked teeth worldwide

However, lo and behold, for those of you in this position, I've learned in my consultation appointment how much braces have improved over the years. And believe me, I fired dozens of questions at my doctor. Part of me was relieved, and part of me was furious at many of the improvements in orthodontics. Is there anything kids today have to suffer through? 

Nonetheless, as the new year hits, I have already been wearing Invisalign trays for two weeks. While clear, and barely noticeable, if at all, the lifestyle is already one that I am adjusting too having to remove the trays every time I eat, and being forced to pay more attention to the overall hygiene of my teeth. Not that I didn't before, but I'm at the point now where I brush my teeth after snacking. 

As we all make changes to better ourselves, this is oddly one that I've made to improve myself. A change that will continue through 2013 and half of 2014. A change in which I will be twenty-nine when completed. 

Scary. Very scary. 

Nonetheless, so goes the process of life, and the cycle that it brings. 

Round two with braces. Let's go. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.