Skip to main content

365 Thought Provoking Questions. Answered: #322-337

322. What is the number one quality that makes someone a good leader?

The number one quality of a leader is to be respected. If you don't have the utmost respect from those you are attempting to lead, then every other quality that follows is shallow. 

323. What bad habits do you want to break?

I would have to say staying up late. I've always been a night owl. You can ask my parents, my college roommates, and my wife, for some reason I work better when the sun goes down. Call me a vampire. However, as I get older, I'd like to break the habit of staying up late and burning the string on both ends. And while I am at it, I'd like to get into the habit of waking up early and becoming more of a morning person. 


324. What is your favorite place on Earth?

Brooklyn, New York. No doubt about it. 

I've been to many places, and even gone oversees several times. While I enjoy other places this world has to offer, nothing compares to Brooklyn. Nothing. 

Any nice beach is a distant second. 

325. What do you love to practice?

Baseball. Workouts. And even playing the guitar. 

326. What questions do you often ask yourself?

Am I doing the right thing? Making the right move? And of course, the always intuitive and gutsy, yet, ambitious, why not? 

327. What are you an expert at?

Ask anyone that has played me in MVP Baseball on the PlayStation 2, and they'd probably vouch that I'm an expert in that video game. 

328. How would an extra $1000 a month change your life?

It wouldn't change my overall quality of life, but it would make saving for an eventual house, or move, or children, much easier. 

329. What things in life should always be free?

Faith, love, and opportunity. 

330. What is your favorite time of the year?

Summer. The weather is warm. Baseball is being played. It is softball season. You can wear shorts and a t-shirt. The days are longer. BBQ's and cookouts are common. And yes, the beach is always an option. How can it not be the best time of the year?

331. What is something you have always wanted since you were a kid?

A 1975 Chevrolet Nova. Weird? I know. However, this was the car my father owned in my first few years  of existence. I was always infatuated with the car when I was younger, always into cars in general. My parents always tell the story of my father having to simply put me inside the car as a baby, and I would eventually play with the buttons and steering wheel until a fell asleep. As I grew up until the age of nine where he eventually bought a Honda Civic, for some reason always dreamed about having that car some day. 

It's no longer a model in make, however, like my father's car was, there are those classics that are cleaned up, roadster-style, that are simply impressive. One day, I'll be able to purchase a 75 Nova. 

Picture me rolling in one of these

332. What is the most recent dream you remember having while sleeping?

I rarely remember my dreams. The last one I do remember was of me running in the Caribbean on an island where I couldn't find anyone. Weird, I know? Does it mean something? 

333. What confuses you?

Jees, so many things. But off the top of my head to simply answer this question, I would have to say the negative outlook on marriage today. Why has marriage become such a negative thing in our society? 

334. In what way are you your own worst enemy?

I don't take enough risks. I don't allow myself to make mistakes. And I am way too hard on myself to be perfect. 

I once read the saying which has stayed with me, "striving for excellence is motivating, striving for perfection is demoralizing". 

Very true. 

335. When did you not speak up when you should have?

During my senior year of college, I played my final year of baseball with which was later diagnosed as a two torn ligaments in a severe third degree ankle sprain. In typical fashion of being my worst enemy, as stated in the question above, yours truly decided to play on the ankle rather than forgo what would be my last year of baseball. 

In a game where we were being killed, I entered the game and managed to get our team out of the long and terrible inning. After the inning, our coach decided to to pull me to which I ironically did speak up and volunteered to pitch more innings to take the brunt for the team. Our pitching staff, not as deep as the other teams in Florida during the week-long schedule, had been exhausted. 

After going back out for the next inning, let's just say, things got much worst. While I'll admit I didn't have my best stuff and really could not push off on my right foot for effectiveness, I gutted it out in my attempt to take one for the team. To my surprise, there were several plays in which my teammates behind me decided it was not as important to them. Balls fell in front of jogging outfielders. Errors made by infielders. And body language that exemplified a spirit of quitting. 

After over a half an hour in the Florida sun of enduring pain for a team that apparently did not appreciate my effort or care enough to finish the game with pride, I held my tongue in a glaring rage as my roommate and one-third of my best man trio at my wedding, tried to rally the troops.  

At that moment I really should have let loose and let my emotions and feelings go. Emotions and feelings which had built up over the length of a trip where some guys seemed to not care, and from personal frustrations as well.

I'll have to take that missed moment to my grave. 

336. What is your favorite quote?

"Be perfect..." from Friday Night Lights, the movie. 

After discussing ways I am my own worst enemy, go figure, huh? 

337. What is your favorite fictional story?  (novel, movie, fairytale, etc.)

A film called Finding Forrester. An inner city kid that finds solace in writing and finds peace by standing on the pitcher's mound at Yankee Stadium...yeah, I think I can relate to that. 

Recent Favorites

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.