Skip to main content

Obama's Hope And Change Seeming Like Same Ol' Politics

It was a bold statement by the current leader of the free world.

A statement that no other President has even made - ever.

A statement that was sure to spark debate and controversy - and has.

And with President Obama’s recent endorsement for same-sex marriage, it signifies (at least its supposed to) a growing change in our society on so many fronts. And most importantly, it has really changed the outlook of the 2012 Presidential election.

As I’ve stated several times here on the DP, I’m not a fan of politics. I don’t get wrapped up in parties, sides, teams, colors, or any other way or boundary the political process seems to have. I’m registered as an Independent. I don’t vote strictly Republican because it’s what is deemed as the “Christian’s party” (which is complete garbage). Nor do I vote Democratic because it is viewed as the “working class” party (Also, lots of garbage). I also don't "vote Obama" because of the color of his skin.

In fact, you’re reading the words of a man that has voted for President Bush’s re-election, and for President Barack Obama in the previous election. So yes, call me naive, but I believe in voting for the right man for the job.


However, after viewing and reading the transcript of President’ Obama’s interview, it does leave my vote for this year’s election without a home. A vote that was once assured to be punched under Obama’s name, I now am left to at least view the other options.

I know what you are thinking.

Are you really going to let one viewpoint dictate your vote?

And for others, I also know what you are now thinking. 

How can you be against same-sex marriage?

First, no, there one viewpoint will not dictate my vote.

And yes, I am against same-sex marriages, and I have been from the beginning.

Somehow, in today's rapid-fire culture, when you are against same-sex marriage all of a sudden it makes you some type of gay basher, homophobic, or  an outright bigot. If that's the way you want to spin it as well, that is fine. You might as well stop reading this post. However, my sole reasoning is I believe in God. I believe in the Bible, it's words, and what it says. For me, it's as simple as that. And while I am willing to admit, there are evangelical extremists and even some churches that ruin the credibility of this side's argument, there are just as much individuals that are pro same-sex marriage because they fear public and societal scrutiny and/or conviction, or it's simply the cool "oppressive" issue to battle for.

For what it's worth, even though I am a Christian individual that is anti-same sex marriage in this debate, let me just say no one wishes any ill will towards homosexuals, and/or same-sex couples.

However, as I've said in the past, I'd love to intelligently and unbiasedly have some questions answered by a member of the gay community one day.

Nonetheless, there are so many issues at the helm that need to be addressed regarding our nation, that the sudden emergence of same-sex marriages seems nothing more than a way to drum up votes from a younger generation. A generation that indeed aided greatly in getting President Obama elected. For some reason, even if the President was honest in his feelings, it all seems like a well-timed political stunt. And I find it odd, that a president that ran on said Christian principles, going as far as having Rick Warren present for his inauguration, that he would come to such a conclusion at this very time. 

It's more than the same-sex issue, but the issue of changing. One of President Obama's greatest values, and the slogan he ran on last time, was the element of change. We needed it at the time. This country still is in need of change. However, it seems like recently, with a lack of focus on jobs and domestic issues, as promised, the President is the one that has changed.

And as I sit here punching the keys, I take a look at the other side, the red side, so to speak, and I'm completely repulsed. From the beginning of the Republican primary, Mitt Romney has been my least favorite of the candidates of the Republican party (for the record, Santorum was my pick). From his arrogant comment and wager challenge of "ten grand" as he put it during the Iowa debates, to his below-the-belt tactics at President Obama, and his constant and palpable flip-flopping on important American topics, I find it very hard pressed to give a vote to Romney. And that's without including the personal "car-salesman" vibe I get from him.

Is same-sex marriage an issue in our nation. Of course.

However, not one that should dictate the vote of an election.

Unfortunately, President Obama doesn't think so.

Either way, what was looking like another exciting November of hope and change, is now looking like the typical run-of-the-mill election day.

Picking the lesser of the two evils.

Some hope and change...

Recent Favorites

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 3/17/24

3 Up 1. Virginia Ends Legacy Admissions - There is the obvious on this, right? Like, why is this even a thing to begin with? I'm very curious to see the effects of this in Virginia. For all of the discussion on race-equity-based admissions, and affirmative-action measures, legacy admissions have long gone without scrutiny.  2. Kyrie Irving Buzzer-Beater - Look, this is at #2 for mere appreciation of basketball - at the purity and poetry of it. Irving, arguably the most skilled player ever (despite his actions and your opinions of him) hit a game-winning left-handed (!!) hook shot from 16 feet out to win a game. It's simply unreal. It's a thing of beauty (and such difficulty!).  I'm headed out to the driveway to try it - we all know you will too.  3. COVID Anniversary - Ah yes, we'll continue to remember mid-March for COVID. But let it now steer you away from other thoughts on how the world was reduced to essentials. Let's never lose that outlook.  3 Down 1. Bo

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"