Skip to main content

Extreme Weekend: Goodnight (Morning), Irene

I opened my eyes, and in some ways ears, to my cell phone ringing on the floor nearby. As I got up from crashing on the couch for the three hours and answered the phone, it was my dad on the other line. He was checking in to see how my tag team partner and I were doing after the storm. 

Wait, what?! "After, the storm?"

As I quickly turned my head to the windows to see the bright skies and calm atmosphere overlaying Brooklyn, NY, I was in sudden amazement. What happened between 8:00am and 11:30am? As I dozed off on the couch a bit after 8am, the latest forecast including the worst of Irene lasting until Noon, with rain thereafeter compeltely ceasing at 7pm this evening. 

I quickly recieved word from my tag team partner and my father that the storm had declined into a weaker tropical storm and had now made it's way west toward upstate New York. 

Wow. Hurricane Irene is finally over. 

As we removed the bottles, containers, and cups used to catch the leaks within our living room window frame, the clean up and recovery process began. And while the cool breezy air that rushed in as we opened the windows seemed as if things were alright, news of floods, power outages, and limited damage were seen over the newscast. 

The cleanup and return to normalcy begins. 

The MTA has already made it know that the subway system will return to service tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. So it seems, there might be another day inside casa de Robo. 


8am and up with Irene...
Nonetheless, we were lucky. Very lucky. Irene was rough, but not as terrible as was predicted, or potentially could have been. Yet she did bring an environment to this city I have never seen in all my years of growing up and living here. Evacuations. Mass flooding and surging (a new fancy word I've become friends with this weekend). The entire MTA system shut down (first time in history). Unbelievable wind and rain. Images of an empty Times Square. And a feeling and general concern for not only others, but your housing structure as well. All in all, this extreme weekend, which included my first ever hurricane experience, was a memorable one, but one that I am perfectly content in never, ever, enduring again. 

I prepared for Irene. I stayed up all night with Irene. And just when I fell asleep, she left without saying goodbye. 

She's definitely a mean and nasty you-know-what. 

Goodnight (or morning), Irene, and goodbye forever. 

I hope you never return. And that goes for all of your friends as well. 

Recent Favorites

2024 NBA All-Star Weekend Thoughts

There's something wrong with the All-Star Game.  Yeah, we've definitely had this conversation before. Expect to pick up this very discussion (again) in July when Major League Baseball has their version in the "Mid-Summer Classic" when it is the ONLY current topic to bounce around in the stratosphere of sports discourse.  What's wrong with the All-Star Game?!  I'm not dismissing the obvious - yes, the NBA All-Star Game is very much at an alarming point of necessary refinement and change - evaluation is needed. What we saw on Sunday night was not disappointing, but outright embarrassing. Also yes, gone are the days when the game flooded your television screen at a respectable 6:30pm on NBC, and you were wowed by the athleticism and star power of the first half of the game, and treated to what felt like the world's best players playing pickup basketball on the grandest stage.  Now? Not so much. So yeah, we got the message. The outrage - and shock TV and hot t

Dome Pondering Movie Review: The After (2023)

What is it about? In a short film, a grieving man confronts his past when he comes face-to-face with a passenger.  Who is in it? David Oyelowo - Dayo Jessica Plummer - Amanda Amelie Dokubo - Laura  Favorite Scene: It's an extremely short film, so...the final few moments.  Favorite Quote:  None. (not much dialogue) Review: This eighteen-minute masterpiece is amazing. You're absolutely taken on this ride of emotions that ultimately leaves you with a great realization of questioning what we value in life.  The lead character, in eighteen minutes, is powerful. His grief is carried through the film, exploding at the end. It very much leaves the viewer with so many questions - what was his life before the tragedy? What was his life after that moment? Did he ever reconnect with that family? Did he rediscover happiness?  Again, a very, VERY, powerful eighteen minutes that will jolt the heart, mind, and soul about life, what is important, and what we overvalue in its place.  Grade: 4/5

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine.