Skip to main content

The California Chronicles - 11/10/09

California is amazing

I say that because once again today, like two days ago, yours truly received unsatisfactory news via E-mail. I know, I know, why did I check it right? Like I said, habit. And a bad one while on vacation.

Nonetheless, the news slapped me in the face, and offset my mood on a great vacation. However, once again, California saves the day.

Living in New York, sometimes you forget how fast, and often rushed, everything truly is. From driving, to shopping, to even enjoying a hobby, everything has to be done on time. No scratch that, everything has to be done now. I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know, however, it’s when you remove yourself out of the pressure intensified vacuum that is New York City, is when you truly realize just indeed how bad it is. How much unnecessary stress is added in the New York City standard of living.

For the most part, California is just the opposite. Things are just about as expensive, ritzy, and well, fake, as it is in New York, yet there is that missing element of, “the rush.” Everything is turned down to first gear and never moves above that. 

Today, that couldn’t be more evident that taking a ride with my tag team partner, or as most would say, their girlfriend. It was just a cruise all over the coast of California going from town to town, beach to beach, city to city, and enjoying the sun, road, and the ride.


Back home, I never understood the concept of “going for a ride”. Who wants to deal with traffic, the lights, the rude pedestrians, and not to mention crazy drivers?

I understand it now.

I understand the concept of the great American ride. Driving along the coast in the All-American muscle car Ford Mustang, with seventy-degree weather, and no care in the world,  is an experience that sounds cliché, actually, somewhat cheesy, yet, it is remarkable.

And in the end, all my troubles seem somewhat so minuscule. Such an after thought.
What E-mail?

The good Lord knows I love New York City with all my heart.

However, California…

…well California is just amazing.

Recent Favorites

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

Predictions and Wild Guesses for the 2024 MLB Season

Brett Davis-USA TODAY Sports After an off-season where the Los Angeles Dodgers spent the equivalent of a nation's GDP to acquire talent - I'm not sure if that's factual, but it felt like it - the 2024 MLB Season is finally here.  Sure, this Yankees fan is not just annoyed with the big spending of the Dodgers, but yeah, secretly envious as well. That used to be us, man!  Regardless, baseball is back on the docket. While my beloved New York Knicks have my attention and all of my heart, including what has been a fun March Madness period for men's and women's basketball, it's soothing to have baseball back. I can't explain what it is, but baseball just does that for me.  Nonetheless, let's do what we do in this post every year. Here are my wacky predictions and wild guesses for the 2024 season.  --- STANDINGS (WINS) AL EAST Orioles - 93 Yankees - 90 Blue Jays - 85 Red Sox - 82 Rays - 80 AL CENTRAL Twins - 88 Tigers - 86 Guardians - 81 Royals - 70 White Sox -