Skip to main content

'We Made History' Might Solidify His Legacy


We all realize and understand how great a performer, artist, and most of all lyricist that Shawn Carter, aka Jay-Z, is. His talent at time seems limitless as he creates music that makes move our body, lift our soul, and most of all, use our heads. Throughout his career, he has been known for his unmatched ability to record songs without using a pen or paper. An uncanny talent that sees him step into studios, hear the beat, drawn from experience, and rattle off an entire song.


With Jay-Z's latest album set for release soon, entitled, The Blueprint 3, a few songs have been released, one which has caught the attention of yours truly, and many more. The song, titled We Made History, describes a person's battle with overcoming adversity, their pursuit of making their dream a reality, and now their conquest to establish their legacy.


The lyrics (posted below) are reminiscent of a poem deeply thought out with various metaphors and symbolism that creates a wow moment after it is heard for the first time. It is one of those rare tracks that many listeners will be able to relate with and will appreciate for its deeper meaning, especially in the creatively-starved music era we are in.

However, despite We Made History being on the level of the jaw-dropping lyrics we have usually come to expect from Jay-Z, one has to wonder if he decided to finally write a song? At least this song. Rarely are greats doubted in their craft, however, this song seems to finally be that test. And if he did continue his "rewriting of history with out a pen", then maybe we all have under estimated him in the past - if that is possible at all.

We Made History
By: Jay-Z



(Chorus)
Now that all the smoke is gone(lighter)
And the battle finally rise(give me a lighter)
Victory’s finally ours (Lighters up, lighters up)
History so loved, so long, so long, so long…

In search of victory, she keeps eluding me
If only we could be together momentarily
We could make love, and make history
Why won’t you visit me, until she visits me
I’ll be stuck with her sister, her name is defeat
She gives me agony, so much agony
She brings me so much pain
So much misery, like missing your last shot
And fallin' to your knees .
As the crowd screams, for the other team
I practice so hard for this moment victory don’t lead
I know what this means, I’m stuck in this routine
Whole new different day, but the same old things
All I got is dreams, but nobody else could see
Nobody else believes, nobody else but me
Where are you victory, I need you desperately
Not just for the moment. To make history

(Chorus)
Now that all the smoke is gone(lighter)
And the battle finally rise(lighters)
Victory’s finally ours (Yea, Yea, Yea)
History so loved, so long, so long, so long…

So now I’m flirting with death
Hustla like a G, while victory wasn’t watching
Took chances repeatedly
As a teenage boy, before acne
Before I got proactive, I couldn’t face sheet
I just threw on my hoodie and headed to the streets
I swear I met success, we lived together shortly
A success is like lust, which is good for the touch
Which is good for the moment, but she’s never enough
Everybody’s had her, she’s nothing like me
A success is all I got, unfortunately
But I’m burning down the block
I’ve been in it down defeat
But something tells me that there’s much more to see
Before I get killed, cause I can’t get robbed
So before me, success and death bandage
I gotta get lost, I gotta find free
We gotta be together to make history

(Chorus)
Now that all the smoke is gone (lighters up)
And the battle finally rise(lighter up)
Victory’s finally ours (lighters up)
History so loved, so long, so long, so long…

Now history is mine, it taste so sweet
She’s my trophy wife, she comming with me
We have a baby who stutters’ repeatedly
We name him history
He repeats after me
He’s my legacy, son I’m a hard work
Future of my past, he’ll explain who I be
Rank me among the greats
Either 1, 2 or 3, if I ain’t number one
Then I failed you Victory
Ain’t in it for the fame, that dies in 10 weeks
Ain’t in it for the money, can’t take me when you live
I wanna be remembered long after you breath
Long after I’m gone, long after I breath
I live all I am, in the hands of history
Bless my last will testimony
This is much more then a song
It’s a baby shower, I’ve been waiting for this hour
History your ours.

(Chorus x2)
Now that all the smoke is gone
And the battle finally rise
Victory’s finally ours (lighters up)
History so loved, so long, so long, so long…

Recent Favorites

Sunday Sundown Rundown - 3/17/24

3 Up 1. Virginia Ends Legacy Admissions - There is the obvious on this, right? Like, why is this even a thing to begin with? I'm very curious to see the effects of this in Virginia. For all of the discussion on race-equity-based admissions, and affirmative-action measures, legacy admissions have long gone without scrutiny.  2. Kyrie Irving Buzzer-Beater - Look, this is at #2 for mere appreciation of basketball - at the purity and poetry of it. Irving, arguably the most skilled player ever (despite his actions and your opinions of him) hit a game-winning left-handed (!!) hook shot from 16 feet out to win a game. It's simply unreal. It's a thing of beauty (and such difficulty!).  I'm headed out to the driveway to try it - we all know you will too.  3. COVID Anniversary - Ah yes, we'll continue to remember mid-March for COVID. But let it now steer you away from other thoughts on how the world was reduced to essentials. Let's never lose that outlook.  3 Down 1. Bo

Quick Ponder: Daily Armor

Imagine, if we can see the dents and scratches, the smashes and chaos,  on the daily armor, each of us put on. Just imagine. 

DP Review of the Alternate Knicks Orange Jersey

One of the good aspects about having a blog and being truthful and honest about it, is the hindsight thought process it provides. DP devotees already know how much I love my New York Knicks, and how excited I was about their new jerseys last year. It was a new look that was desperately needed ( DP Review On Knicks New Uniforms ).  In reviewing those jerseys last year, I had the following comments in regards to then-rumors regarding the addition of an alternative orange jersey for the Knicks and overall NBA changes to the Christmas Day special jerseys:  "As long as we do not add an "alternative jersey" (I read rumors of an orange one - woof!) (and the league-wide Spanish jerseys are fine). And please, please - PLEASE - let's finally do away with the awful green jerseys we feel the need to wear on Christmas and St. Patrick's day! Pretty please!"